Lost profiles after updating

lobo

Posted · Lost profiles after updating

Hello everyone!

So, I have been using Cura for a while, I had version 4.6 and I decided it was time to update to 4.12 so I did. I use OS X, so I only needed to drag&drop the file to my applications folder and replace the old one.

Now, when I opened the new version, almost all of my custom profiles disappeared, only the one I had selected before closing the 4.6 version shows on the options.
I've been investigating a bit and I saw that I can open the settings directory from Cura and check if the profiles are there. I did so and it shows folders for the different previous versions I had and, in the current version (4.12), it shows what I think are the profiles "cfg" files (see screenshot attached).

Does anyone know why the profiles are not showing on Cura? Am I missing something?

Thank you!

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 16.24.16.png

I'm happy to provide whatever information necessary. I tried to provide as much info as possible but I'm not an expert on Cura.

Could you point me out how to get those logs?

Thank you.

I have the same issue, upgraded and my profiles are missing, and the default is named "Not Supported"

Is there a way for me to get the standard Ultimaker 2+ profiles back?

I can post my log file but it's 450K

J

Posted (edited) · Lost profiles after updating

Good Morning

Poor Lobo, the OP and Johnwebbcole above,

asked a reasonable question regarding a clearly common failure of the software

lack of updatability

Every time the CURA team (yea cura)  release a new version

the ONLY  way to use it,  is to throw away all your previous work, and start anew

hand transcribing 496 settings

It is the sole reason  thousands of users  eschew the benefits of updated software, and continue to use the version that shipped with thier machine.

Of course this is only after wasting personal time chasing the greyed out fallacy of 

"IMPORT"

or 

"EXPORT"

Cura should hire some `GUI engineers, to help the sharp folk who write the slicer code, interact with humans.

and Tards like nallath, asking for logs, thats a customer service "eff off, its lunchtime"  response.

REAL BAD for growing the community

Edited by meicalnissyen

13 minutes ago, meicalnissyen said:

the ONLY  way to use it,  is to throw away all your previous work, and start anew hand transcribing 496 settings

That is not true. You have the following options:
    1. Use the built in backup plugin
    2. Create manual backups
    3. Don't select "remove previous versions of Cura and all profiles"
    4. Recover profiles from project files
    5. Recover profiles from g-code

14 minutes ago, meicalnissyen said:

It is the sole reason  thousands of users  eschew the benefits of updated software, and continue to use the version that shipped with thier machine.

The download / usage data that we get suggests otherwise. I think that most of them simply use option 3.

15 minutes ago, meicalnissyen said:

Cura should hire some `GUI engineers, to help the sharp folk who write the slicer code, interact with humans.

Luckly we have those. Thanks for the suggestion though!

16 minutes ago, meicalnissyen said:

and Tards like nallath, asking for logs, thats a customer service "eff off, its lunchtime"  response.

REAL BAD for growing the community

My sincere apologies for my inability to debug issues without any information provided what so ever. I've tried to train my mind reading skills, but i've had little to no success with that. So for the time being, I will need log files to act as a crutch.

Also, do you think that calling people tards (which I assume is short for retard) is something that is beneficial to the community? Can you explain to me how that helps? It's the first time that I've heard this strategy being promoted, but I've only been in open source communities for the past 9 years or so, so it's possible that I still have some things to learn!

• Like 5

I got your attention.

And that, is FAR MORE

than Lobo got

I, received a detailed response that had thought put into it.

Simply by scratching that ego.

So, 

numbers 1-5  are a list of workarounds to a problem.

Thats a fact jack.

This is software is meant to be used by the general public, yeah?

ANY

ANY

ANY

update must be invisible to the user

If ANY action is required by the end user to recover lost functionality, caused by the user hitting the "update" button.

FAIL

ALL

ALL

of their old personal settings must appear as they did before, or Fail.

So,

By the time version 4.20 rolls around, I'll test the

"update function"  with the 4.9 on my old laptop. itll have 1 custom dummy profile on it.

If it functions like consumer software, and brings the user settings forward into the new version seamlessly, without ANY

of your 1-5 steps of repair, I'll give it a go.

Learning takes time, I spend mine on CAD,  not fixing cura.

Why don't you send LoBO and the others a PM, with your actual answer,.... They may be receptive to actual help

not some "send me a log" shite,..fucktard

32 minutes ago, meicalnissyen said:

So, 

numbers 1-5  are a list of workarounds to a problem.

Thats a fact jack.

No, they explain 5 reasons why you are wrong. Number 1 isn't a work around, just common sense. Number 3 is not telling the software to delete your stuff.

33 minutes ago, meicalnissyen said:

If ANY action is required by the end user to recover lost functionality, caused by the user hitting the "update" button.

FAIL

ALL

ALL

Soooo, like option 3?

34 minutes ago, meicalnissyen said:

Why don't you send LoBO and the others a PM, with your actual answer,.... They may be receptive to actual help

not some "send me a log" shite,..fucktard

Because I need the log file in order to help.

But please, continue explaining how calling someone a fucktard is constructive or good for the community. I'm still hoping to get an answer from you ❤️ While you're at it, it seems that you also know a way to solve this so that I don't have to always ask for logs. I'd love to hear it!

• Like 3

Hello,

I'd also like to push this topic. All of my print profiles have disappeared. Printing with different laptops and different printers, my prints are all now turning out like garbage. I have a computer with some working Cura profiles on it, but this is very concerning for 4.12!!

Here to listen for tips...

I'm going to update the firmware on all my printers and import the cura profiles I had. I'll check back here after and upload some profiles to share and how it goes.

Try this quick fix which just worked for me.  Go to the configuration folder and delete the version number that is Not Working.  Then relaunch Cura.  For me, it loaded the last version's settings and used them to create the current version's settings.  Therefore, savings all of my files.

23 hours ago, Kilonova said:

Try this quick fix which just worked for me.  Go to the configuration folder and delete the version number that is Not Working.  Then relaunch Cura.  For me, it loaded the last version's settings and used them to create the current version's settings.  Therefore, savings all of my files.

Just to be safe (and reduce the chance of losing your files in case this doesn't work - I haven't had this problem so I can't try it) instead of deleting it, try moving it to a place Cura will never look for it (like My Documents) so you can restore it if need be.

• Like 1