Stripped Allen Key Screw Holes on the Back of Ultimaker 2+

Posted · Stripped Allen Key Screw Holes on the Back of Ultimaker 2+

I was hoping you could help me out.

I noticed that the back panel on the box on the back of my Ultimaker 2+ where the filament is inserted was coming loose.  After a little analyzing, I found that 3 of the 4 allen key screws were no longer gripping which was causing the panel to come loose.  I took the back panel off and only the top left allen key screw hole supported a screw while all of the other screw holes could have the screws slide completely in and out of them with no resistance.

Any suggestions on how I could get those screw holes to grip the screws again?

Posted · Stripped Allen Key Screw Holes on the Back of Ultimaker 2+

It's not obvious because they are sort of hidden, but those screws go into nuts.  Look inside your printer.  Every screw goes into a nut.  Your nuts fell out.  You need to locate the nuts and stick them back in the slots before putting the screws back in.

They are standard M3 (3mm metric) nuts.  Standard thread (0.5mm thread pitch) (versus fine pitch).  In the USA some hardware stores have metric nuts and some don't.  But if you tilt your UM2 you might see the nuts sliding around in there.

You UM2+ probably came with a green and black hex driver - much easier to use than an L shaped allen key.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies