Cura Travel Blocker Workaround

mattw

Posted · Cura Travel Blocker Workaround

When posting a "travel blocker" feature request on the Cura github, a mod deferred the request (understandable), but also suggested a workaround using a second STL and setting wall thickness, top/bottom thickness and infill % all to zero. They even posted a screen shot of it (apparently) working.

I can not for the life of me get it to work. The Cura github is not the proper place to troubleshoot a workaround so I am bringing it to the forum.

Attached is a project file set up with a secondary "travel blocker.stl" as the mod suggested.

Just to give context of some of the slicer settings in the project. We make lot of little custom vase type prints using spiralize mode. We keep the raft and a 100% infill support as a built in stand. The file will be sliced as normal for the first 3mm of Z axis and then switch to spiralize mode as it travels further up (this is as expected). In Preview, you can see the offending travel lines still going through the "travel blocker.stl" file in the support region (first 3mm of Z axis on the print). These travel lines inside the vase a terrible for internal surface quality. We would much rather have them outside the vase. No combination of combing settings nor this "travel blocker workaround" has been effective.

Any ideas on what the mod was talking about? Has anyone had success with a workaround like this before? Thanks.

P.S. - I'm never sure if "Save Project" or "Export" is the best way to share the model and slicer settings, so both are attached.

P.P.S. - yes, this project is set for an Ender. Our shop has many Ultimakers, several Creality machines, some Taz's, a Raise3D, a Flsun delta, and a partridge in a pear tree. This was just the profile I had up at the time. This is a Cura travel related question and pertains to any printer hardware.

CE3_SpiralizeSupportTester-SAVEPROJECT.3mf CE3_SpiralizeSupportTester-EXPORT.3mf

Export just includes the model. The idea of a "project" is that it includes the whole state of your Cura session: the model(s), all settings, and even your Cura preferences.

17 hours ago, mattw said:

They even posted a screen shot of it (apparently) working.

A link would be nice, so I don't have to go searching for it.

Hello @ahoeben - I believe it's #11047.  The poster is trying to fool Spiralize and use his support structure as part of his model.  The travel lines seem to be generated as the support is built up.

I've not been able to figure out a way to fool it myself.  I usually slice a base in normal mode and  then slice the upper model in spiralize and marry the two files together at a convenient layer.

Yes, Issue 11047.

Thank you for the info, I will only attach the project from now on.

Perhaps, Spiralize might be inconsequential? The offending travel moves are in the "base" part of the model where it is still printing/slicing in normal mode.