Printing pre-assembled separate pieces interleaved in-situ

MikeHersee

Posted · Printing pre-assembled separate pieces interleaved in-situ

Hi folks, I've designed a folding tablet stand in two halves, with the intention of printing them side-by-side so that when it is printing the hinge area and the space is visible where the axle for the hinge goes, I will then drop in the axle for the hinge. This means that each half has half of the hinge segments like a normal door hinge. However, I cannot find a way of getting Cura to let the parts be so close together that it can print both of them with the hinge sections interleaved. As soon as I get one part close to line it up, it moves the other part out of the way. I can't just print them at the same time, they have to be in interleaved in position so I can drop the hinge in, which will then be sealed in place by the finished printing process. Any ideas?

Mike Hersee

2022-01-08 (2).png

In the menu "Preferences / Configure Cura" and then in the Viewport Behavior section is "Ensure Models are Kept Apart".  If that is ticked it will do just as it says.  Like trying to push two magnets together that are facing the wrong ways.

Another way to do it would be in CAD: place all parts in the correct position in CAD, export to STL, and it will print as one design, all in the right place.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies