Printing Optimization

ajchastain1

Posted · Printing Optimization

While printing, it almost looks like there are lines across the entire model that doesn’t print well. And there’s really no rhyme or reason as to when it does it or why it does it. Any ideas on why my printer is doing this? I have a Creality Ender-3.

The supports I understand I have to beef them up a bit so that’s not a concern. I’m talking about the main body of the print having those separations between the layers. 

Below I have attached a picture of the print and what I am currently talking about.

Thanks,

Alec C.

8F2B293F-7089-453F-99F6-18F4E7CDE772.jpeg

That seems to be underextrusion, but I don't know your printer, so it is hard to say why? Filament that is stuck on the spool or entangled, or bent, so it can not easily unwind and pass through the nozzle? Or irregular diameter filament, too thick to pass through easily? Or hard parts in the filament, that temporarily block the flow through the nozzle? A partially clogged nozzle? Something along that line of thought maybe?

On 1/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, geert_2 said:

That seems to be underextrusion, but I don't know your printer, so it is hard to say why? Filament that is stuck on the spool or entangled, or bent, so it can not easily unwind and pass through the nozzle? Or irregular diameter filament, too thick to pass through easily? Or hard parts in the filament, that temporarily block the flow through the nozzle? A partially clogged nozzle? Something along that line of thought maybe?

That could make sense, as to my filament roll sits on the top rail facing upwards and feeds down and to the right 90 degrees. The roll also has a larger diameter hole in the center compared to the pole it sits on, so it may not roll off very well. 

I will move the roll and try that next. I appreciate it!

I do know the printer and their #1 problem is a gap forming between the end of the Bowden tube and the back of the nozzle.  You will need to disassemble the hot end and clean out the plug of melted plastic.  This needs to be done every once in a while and I do it before any long print.

Consider getting a Micro Swiss hot end.  They are more consistent and need less maintenance.  The rule about cleaning it still applies though.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:28 PM, GregValiant said:

I do know the printer and their #1 problem is a gap forming between the end of the Bowden tube and the back of the nozzle.  You will need to disassemble the hot end and clean out the plug of melted plastic.  This needs to be done every once in a while and I do it before any long print.

Consider getting a Micro Swiss hot end.  They are more consistent and need less maintenance.  The rule about cleaning it still applies though.

Sounds great. I will definitely look into cleaning that out, considering I have never done it. Again, pretty new at this stuff. I appreciate the help for sure.

I've read a lot of posts about clogged nozzles.  I truly don't think I ever had one.  It's always been a partial clog at the back end of the nozzle.  A gap between the bowden and the nozzle is the most likely suspect.  Some hot ends are fussy about overly long retractions.  You can trim back the bowden tube by 5 or 6mm's.  It needs to be a nice square cut so it will seal at the back of the nozzle.  Put the nozzle in first (the hot end needs to be up around 200° to remove the nozzle and to re-assemble it) and leave it loose by 1/4 to 1/2 turn.  Shove the bowden tube back in and make sure it's down all the way.  Put in the locking clip and then tighten the nozzle up.  Don't over-torque it as the heat block is soft aluminum and is easy to strip.