Print Sequence, "One at a Time" optimization

AEtherScythe

Posted · Print Sequence, "One at a Time" optimization

I like to use "One at a Time" print sequence, when printing multiple objects in the same job.

It reduces travel time and avoids "hairs" spanning between parts.

There are a few issues.

1. CURA does not automatically figure out where to place objects to avoid the gantry toppling them over.  It only works if the objects are less than the gantry height.  My usual workaround is to temporarily lie about the gantry height and then manually place the objects to avoid the gantry.  This should be a simple thing for CURA to figure out, at least in the case of exactly two parts -- just place one part toward the front and the other part toward the back with a gantry-width amount of space between the parts (which is what I do manually).  Likely an RFE here that the printer definition needs to capture the X/Y size of the gantry and/or print-head, not just the gantry Z-height.
  2. CURA 4.x blocks the use of "One at a Time" if extruder count is >1.  I can't see the reason for this.  I used to use "One at a Time" with great success with two extruders in CURA 3.x (caveat being #1 above).   This restrictions means I can't print two color parts, nor can I print a bunch of different one-color parts, from two different extruders.
  3. I got a new IDEX printer and the two extruders are mounted on the front of the gantry, quite some distance forward.  This leads to a preference to print parts at the front of bed first, then at the rear.  I don't see a way to specify the print-order for the objects.  My workaround is to see what CURA intends to do, then swap the parts if necessary.

Any solutions to the above?

Bugs / RFE's already documented somewhere?