Stringing issues, Combing does not seem to work

Posted (edited) · Stringing issues, Combing does not seem to work

I have some stringing issues which would be fixed by combing. However, Cura is not cooperating. I tried every combing setting (All, Off, Within Infill, Not in Skin), but it still shows a lot of non-combed travelling
When testing, make sure you scroll through the layers each time after changing combing, after changing it hides somehow. See a save from my settings here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XUm6CdBS5uX9qkXwScF4EJePi8_rXZYl/view?usp=sharing

Can anyone please help to reduce the mid-air travel on this? TPU strings horribly

r/FixMyPrint - Combing does not work

Edited by AmberElferink
removed redundant bracket

Apparently this was fixed in Cura 4.13.1. EDIT: When I uninstalled and reinstalled the new version for some reason it worked fine (I kept the configuration files). However, when I changed my model just a bit (increasing hole sizes) it was directly back to its old behavior. I don't know what to do anymore. 

Edited by AmberElferink

Thanks for having a look @GregValiant

I found the following: loading your file with all your settings and pressing slice once gives the correct output.

Just to distinguish the exact settings, I changed back to my old profile and tried to enable the differences between our profiles one by one.

Retract before outer wall did not make a difference.

Neither did some 4 other settings that were different.

What did give the correct result only compared to my previous try are these two settings:
    - setting combing to "all"
    - reducing the line width from 0.4 mm to 0.35 mm. (without this it still gave the same issue).

I am confused as to why it works, but I'm happy that works. I feel this is some form of bug, but at least I can work with it for now. Thanks a lot!

Edited by AmberElferink

Posted · Stringing issues, Combing does not seem to work

It might be a bug.  4.12.1 and 4.13.1 seem to be fussy when the line width and the model wall thickness are exactly the same.  Sometimes it's because a round model isn't really round and the facets of the triangles that make up a curved surface in an STL can't be "concentric" and so the thickness varies by small amounts.  It might also be a "rounding off" thing in the internal math in Cura.  I'm guessing here as I don't really know.

On that particular model, MS 3D Builder found a minor error but it didn't seem to affect slicing.  The model is of high enough resolution that I don't believe there should have been a problem - but there was.