Cura "Layer height" setting help

Kaby

Posted · Cura "Layer height" setting help

Hi!
As my journey with Cura continues, I encounter new problems. This time I'm asking for help with the following issue: I am working with a concrete printer and a corresponding STL model. When trying to slice the model, for example, with the "Layer height" set to 20mm, which is okay according to the printer specifications, the preview in Cura right after slicing looks good:

image.thumb.png.92f7552d7b1556a027a8ce8994ddbeae.png
However when opening the generated G-Code file, here is what I can observe:

image.thumb.png.f13d29e7245781b15b87d91a49b8aeed.png
Does anyone know if this is expected behavior, or how to fix it otherwise? I would be glad to hear your ideas or read any info, which could help me understand the matter more.

Here are my settings:

• Machine settings (apart from dimensions, everything else is default)
    image.thumb.png.27bc7ca9dbf8f5807091a9f2b0aa9f2f.png
  • Extruder
    image.png.f012983a8c2da6670d3de8657cb824c0.png
  • Printing profile was "Extra coarse" with Layer Height set to 20mm.
  • Uploaded the STL model. I know, it is not very well suited for 3D printing, but the issues are not critical, so I will fix it later.

Thank you for reading the post! I would much appreciate any help.

MyFriends Basement.stl

Uh, well. We generally use layerheights below 0.5 mm. Even though I don't see a reason why this wouldn't (at least theoretically) work.

My guess is that the g-code parser has an issue with too large layers. As you might imagine, it's not something that we test 😉

• Thanks 1

Okay, thanks.

Oh, I see 🙂. I understand, that Cura may not be suited to use with this type of work, but I like working in it so will stick to using the software at least for now).

I will wait a couple of days for any other ideas and mark the issue as "Resolved" then.

Well, you could also try using another application to actually view the g-code. I think that it's likely that the g-code that cura produces is correct, it's just that the re-loading of the g-code has some issues with it.

• Like 1