Printer not tapering.

Zeal_Reaper

Posted (edited) · Printer not tapering.

I have a Creality Ender 3v1 and recently designed a case for a flashlight I broke. I designed it with a Screw like taper on inside and outside of some parts, But the printer isnt tapering, What could be wrong? Picture and Stl attached.  I'll try changing the tapering later on as well, something wider.

Thos was done with the fusion 360 trial.

259221552_1310712466021860_3265114276432209084_n.jpg

Flashlight v0.stl

Edited by Zeal_Reaper

Posted · Printer not tapering.

They look like cylinders with no tapers.  My guess is that you missed it in the model, or it just didn't export from Fusion correctly.  A screenshot from Fusion showing the missing features might be helpful as they don't appear to be in the STL file.  It's tough to tell what I should be looking for.

When I opened the STL and placed it in a vertical orientation, the smaller piece was not on the build plate.  I moved it down but that didn't have any effect on the lack of any taper, or helix.

• Like 1

It could be Cura.

You are working in Fusion.  Can you save the drawing file as an Acad 2000 DWG file?  It might be an option under "save as file type".  If you can them post it here.

Here is a view of the small part in that new STL.  This is in MS 3D Builder.  I don't see the taper or threads here either.

image.thumb.png.2b8495a724062cd98a15909050c844ac.png

Edited by GregValiant

Tapering issue. @GregValiant maybe its cura?

I did a new test, for some reason it wont taper in cura, maybe i should add a taper myself?

Edited by Zeal_Reaper

Cura doesn't make things up.  It displays and slices the model you opened.  No matter what software I've opened your STL file in, there two cylinders, the big one has a partition inside with two rectangular holes, and there is a keyway feature.  The little cylinder is a tube with no other features.

This is from PrusaSlicer.  It sees that file exactly the same as MS 3D Builder sees the file, and as Cura sees the file.  The problem is in the export from the CAD software, or the way the pieces were modeled in the CAD software.  If there are Unions or Subtractions in the models maybe they just aren't making it into the STL file.

image.thumb.png.d84f3269de1e8cc6c61fd61ba84cd042.png

Here is an air cleaner and velocity stack I designed in Mechanical Desktop.  This is how they were designed, and this is how the STL files represent them.  There are tapers, revolutions, and lofts.  Cura shows the features because the features are in the STL files.

image.thumb.png.5fb004ef057938d282d13a9942f2eafe.png

Edited by GregValiant

On 2/7/2022 at 1:40 AM, Zeal_Reaper said:

I designed it with a Screw like taper on inside and outside of some parts, But the printer isnt tapering

Some features in Fusion360 (like threads e.g.) can be "cosmetic" or "modeled". Quote from the Autodesk site:

"Check the “Modeled” option to get physical threads instead of a visual representation."

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/tip-tuesday-making-real-threads-in-fusion-360/

image.thumb.png.9d553d69ca3c0dd32efcde8f6a7d1133.png

• Like 1

am i doing something wrong in Fusion360/ saving/ exporting? i am more than willing to share screen to show its not including the screw feature. "need to make a new design also, i touched the wrong battery end and fried the tiny bulbs.

The issue is not how you are exporting the model. Tinkergnome has the answer to your problem in his post above.  In Fusion 360, edit your thread features to be "Modeled" as he shows in the image.  Otherwise they are just a visual representation of threads and they won't export in the .stl file.  Once the modeled threads are created, they should export and show up in Cura or other slicer.

• Like 1

@rowiac @tinkegnome thanks it is working now.