Is there a web based slicer for Ultimaker S3

Posted · Is there a web based slicer for Ultimaker S3

Is there a way to slice our designs and generate a gcode for the UTM3, without using CURA?

We have an Ultimaker S3 in the innovation lab of our company. 

But we are not allowed to install software onto our laptops. So we cannot install CURA.

Is there a way around this?

I've found some webbased slicers like Kiri Moto, but they only support Ultimaker 2. The gcode they generate doesn't work on UTM3.

Nor could I find a gcode converter from UTM2 to UTM3.

Does anyone know if such converter or a web based slicer for the Ultimaker S3 Exists?

There might be an alternative.
    If you bought that S3 after April 2020, it came with Ultimaker Essentials, the entry level Ultimaker software plan. Part of that plan is Ultimaker Cura Enterprise. That is a security-checked version of Ultimaker Cura that updates twice per year and gets official support for the last two versions from Ultimaker. That means, your IT department could install that Cura version and would only have to update it once per year (except for urgent bug fixes).

Thank you Dim3nsioneer, that is good to know. But it leaves me with the problem that the IT department doesn't allow 'unknown' software te be installed onto our devices 😞

You will not be happy with a different slicer, you will loose a lot of the features which are in Cura specially for UM printers. I mean you can use nearly any slicer, but you have to manually add the specific header to the gcode which is needed for the printer. Best you slice something with Cura and then. check the gcode and copy the header to be used later.

What I don't understand, that the company has a 3D printer, but you are not allowed to install the needed software to use it. !?

Before you go the hard way with a browser based slicer, I would slice my models on a private computer or on a device you are able to install Cura and then copy the sliced file to an USB stick and print it your company.

Hi Smithy, thanx for your help. I already tried to adjust the header of the gcode from KiriMoto UTM2 gcode. But the printer seemed to be ending up scratching the printer bed. I understand your wondering about buying a printer not being able to install the accompanying software. We have some standalone workstations that work fine. But I want to get more people involved and have the printer being accessible for all company. That's why.

I would slice the same object with similar setting on both slicers, then compare the first lines. I don't know the KiriMoto, but maybe it handles the Z position a bit different. 

But basically you can use other slicers, some are using Simplify3D and then add the needed header, so it works. If you don't get a working result, try another slicer. (not sure if there are other browser based ones)

I will try that. Thanx.