Confusion setting up non-networked printer

jsharp113

Posted · Confusion setting up non-networked printer

I'm in the middle of a double whammy - setting up my first Linux distro (Mint), and setting up Cura 4.13.1.  I have a printer I built years ago, essentially a Prusa clone with a Ramps controller running Repetier firmware, which I have added as a non-networked Custom FFF printer.  My confusion is, how do I tell Cura how to talk to this thing?  It is connected via USB and I've been able connect to it with a Linux version of Repetier Host, but I don't see where in Cura I can enter anything like port ID and baud rate.  I get the feeling I've missed something obvious, but I have indeed missed it completely.

USB printing functionality in Cura should be regarded as rudimentary. Ultimaker has no interest in improving the USB printing in Cura, since no currently shipping Ultimaker printers support printing via USB. The idea of the current implementation is that it auto-detects printers connected to serial ports. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, you are sort of on your own.

I recommend disabling the USB Printing functionality in Cura (via the "Installed" tab of the Marketplace), and use OctoPrint instead. That way you have a separation of concerns; Cura does the slicing, OctoPrint does the hosting. If Cura crashes or otherwise needs to be restarted, that will not affect your prints. There's a good integration between Cura and OctoPrint via the OctoPrint connection plugin from the Marketplace.

ahoeben, thanks much for the reply.  I've always been a little lazy about this operation, as in getting something that works OK and then living with it for years.  I'll make some time to try Octoprint.