Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Ultimaker S5 ER65 while using extruder 2


Ogge500
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted · Ultimaker S5 ER65 while using extruder 2

Hi!

We recently got an Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle (Material station + Air Manager).

We’ve had no issues regarding printing with extruder .

However, when we are using print core 2, the story isn’t the same.

The printer regularly gets the error code ER65 without anything seemingly wrong with the printer. This happens at random (maybe once every 30 minutes or so)

The printer can be resumed again after the error code, but it is just a matter of time before the error comes up again.

I’ve done some troubleshooting to remove some variables:

  • the error comes both when using PLA and PVA. So it cannot be the PVA having issues.
  • I tested printing only with core 2 and the same error came. So it cannot be the switching between materials.
  • Error comes both when using AA and BB nozzles.
  • The printer is absolutely new with only around 60 ish hours of runtime.
  • I have checked the extrusion mechanism and there is no debris found inside it.

 

I do have one theory, however I do think that it is unlikely the problem. The cables that go to the print cores are loose, not connected using some type of zip ties. Can this be the problem?

F5C303E9-4CEC-4F16-9A34-F5FBDE606BC6.jpeg

2AFE82BF-7270-4873-9C9F-43EC1968278F.jpeg

1D42CCCD-5D18-4D8C-B480-BB3A57DB816A.jpeg

D9FB0821-73D7-44B1-B8C6-91DB3133FD5C.jpeg

F6F3620E-18E1-4162-900A-D27A54D07143.jpeg

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Ultimaker S5 ER65 while using extruder 2

    Hello


    this is the usual procedure with PVA. With this PVA, ultimaker pretty much packs the maximum amount of trouble into the box. Unfortunately


    The material can be damp. It very readily draws room moisture and is then not printable.

    There are two cases for this. The material was already old when it came to you. Or you left it open in the room for a while.

    In both cases you can stop the trouble immediately by buying a new roll of PVA from a specialized dealer.


    You can also dry the material yourself. To do this, you should place it in the printer at 55° for hours.


    I would measure it with a moisture meter. It should have 10- max 15%. And put it in a real filament dryer.

    (Or buy a roll of Beakaway).

     


    Another thing is the feeder. It should remain in the middle position even with such results.

    It can always happen that the PVA gets jammed. Then to screw on the feeder only ensures that you regularly have a blockage in the system. A feeder that is set too high will cause a cork to form above the nozzle.

     

    5 hours ago, Ogge500 said:

    The cables that go to the print cores are loose, not connected using some type of zip ties. Can this be the problem?

     

    No, that's a good thing. Otherwise, you'll have problems with the cold connection to the print head. Unfortunately, this is all a bit sensitive.


    Many greetings

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Ultimaker S5 ER65 while using extruder 2
    11 hours ago, UlrichC-DE said:

    Hello


    this is the usual procedure with PVA. With this PVA, ultimaker pretty much packs the maximum amount of trouble into the box. Unfortunately


    The material can be damp. It very readily draws room moisture and is then not printable.

    There are two cases for this. The material was already old when it came to you. Or you left it open in the room for a while.

    In both cases you can stop the trouble immediately by buying a new roll of PVA from a specialized dealer.


    You can also dry the material yourself. To do this, you should place it in the printer at 55° for hours.


    I would measure it with a moisture meter. It should have 10- max 15%. And put it in a real filament dryer.

    (Or buy a roll of Beakaway).

     


    Another thing is the feeder. It should remain in the middle position even with such results.

    It can always happen that the PVA gets jammed. Then to screw on the feeder only ensures that you regularly have a blockage in the system. A feeder that is set too high will cause a cork to form above the nozzle.

     

     

    No, that's a good thing. Otherwise, you'll have problems with the cold connection to the print head. Unfortunately, this is all a bit sensitive.


    Many greetings

    Okay, thank you for the help regarding our PVA, which we do have tons of problems with.

    However, the issue isn't with just PVA. The same error code comes when using two AA 0.4 Nozzles, and only using extruder 2 priting with PLA. Any ideas what might be the problem?

     

    Thanks for the help.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Ultimaker S5 ER65 while using extruder 2
    1 hour ago, Ogge500 said:

    The same error code comes when using two AA 0.4 Nozzles, and only using extruder 2 priting with PLA. Any ideas what might be the problem?

    Hello,


    you could compare the pressure of the feeder right / left. Sounds like it is forming a cork.

    Whereby I can not exclude other technical causes. Vl. it helps or another has still an idea.


    Many greetings

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Ultimaker S5 ER65 while using extruder 2

    Have you reached out to your reseller? They should be able to help you with this.

    The cable to the printhead should be attached to one of the bowden tubes with clips. Are these clips missing on your printer?

    Anyway: it cannot explain the ER65 problems, since the filament flow sensor is located in the feeder on the back of the printer.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Ultimaker S5 ER65 while using extruder 2

    I have not reached out to our reseller yet.

    Okay, the bowden tubes are loose at the moment. So i’ll try that!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • Ultimaker showcase | April 2022 | 4pm CEST | 10am EDT
        I'm excited because I've personally produced this showcase event, so if you are curious what else I'm up to nowadays, come check it out and say hi in the chat! It would mean a lot! 
          • Thanks
          • Like
        • 4 replies
      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 11 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...