Lost File Icons

jjlocke

Posted · Lost File Icons

Since installing Cura, all the STL icons look like this (c.jpg). Even in File Explorer, this is the icon I get.

Without Cura, I get the image of the STL File (2.png) in File Explorer.

I installed VokelMaker to see any difference and sure enough, it showed the correct icon (2.png).

I have installed and reinstalled Cura, cleaned with CCleaner multiple times, and repeated this issue on multiple computers.

I get the same problem each time. I searched the community but didn't find anything helpful.

I find this very difficult in selecting the correct stl to view and slice. 

Any help out there???? 

Thanks in advance!

c.JPG

2.PNG

Posted · Lost File Icons

I don't know about vokelmaker. One cause for such problems are using more than one tool for showing a thumbnail/icon for a dedicated file extension. An other can be an old thumbnail cache file where those tools save a thumbnail.

I use a thumbnail tool called Papa’s Best STL Thumbnails. It is reliable, small, fast and, what is for me most important, works also with file manager tools like Total Commander.

Posted · Lost File Icons

That's because in the installer you're asked if you want to associate certain filetypes with Cura. SO if you first install VokelMaker, the installer probably asks you the same. So you first associate STL with VokelMaker. If you then install cura (and don't change the defaults) you tell windows to associate STL with Cura.

Posted · Lost File Icons

If you change the view of that folder with the Cura file to "Large Icons" you should get the thumbnail images back.  They can take a while to load though.

Windows 10 has the Preview sidebar on the right and there are two buttons at the bottom that toggle the view.  When you select a file the preview should come up.

Untitled.thumb.png.882062ff132dd09c86769b0911d51de6.png

Posted · Lost File Icons

Thanks for the advise everyone. The Papas Best STL Thumbnails.msi suggested by DivingDuck worked the best. In my case with VokelMaker, I did not install that before Cura, only after once I saw I could not see the icons. 

Thanks again all!

• Like 2