ultimaker 3 bowden tube issue

Posted · ultimaker 3 bowden tube issue

hi

we have been having an issue where the printcore 1 bowden tube is being pulled out from the back of the printer during printing

this has been happening  over a few weeks it continues to feed filament upto a point then the print will stop

thanks

This happens when the blades of the collet are not ok anymore or if the Bowden is worn out in the area the blades grab the tube.  So you can replace the collet and/or also change the the Bowden. 

I would try it first with the collet, it is often enough to change this part.

Sometimes you can also fix it when you print a slightly thicker clip for the collet, but in my experience it works not 100% if the collet itself is not the best. 

I had the same problem about 8 years ago on a UMO and it was a bit frustrating but I have not had the problem on 7 other Ultimaker printers since then.

These collets are cheap and not individually inspected.  I'd cut 2mm off the end of the bowden and put in a new collet and inspect the new and old collet.  Look at the blades under a magnifying glass.

Cut the 2mm off the end to get some fresh bowden under the blades when reassembled.

Note that the feeder end of the bowden is normally routed out inside to make it like a funnel to help guide the filament.  But if you always cut new filament to a point then it doesn't matter.  Or you can use a tool like this to make it cone shaped at the feeder end.  Just be careful to inspect after - you don't want any strings of PFA (the material that makes the bowden) to end up inside the tube and carried to the nozzle where it will cause a clog.  Really not a big deal as long as you know to check for this.

drill-america-countersink-bits-dewmsk1-1