Fixing steps per mm CURA with Start GCode addition

josel720

Posted · Fixing steps per mm CURA with Start GCode addition

I have an Anycubi Mega Pro 

I want to add an additional Start Gcode, M92 X79.5 Y79.4 Z395.6 E421

These are the steps per mm that I mesure for my printer

But when I put the code, it doesn't work in the print, the calibration cube continues to measure the same after printing it.

What could I do? Thanks.

Posted · Fixing steps per mm CURA with Start GCode addition

First of all I wouldn't use a calibration cube to calibrate steps/mm.  The cube can expand and contract based on cura settings.  Instead use a ruler and move the print head as far as it can go and measure that and correct it.  If it moves say 1% too much or too little then adjust steps/mm by 1%.

Once you come up with new values for some or all of x,y,z,e axes you can update the printer (no need to involve cura).  Connect the printer to your computer with a USB cable but first install pronterface:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Look up the gcodes in the area of M500.  When you first connect pronterface to the printer it should automatically send a gcode that gets (among other things) the steps/mm for all 4 axes.  Then use your gcode to update it and I think it's M500 to save those settings permanently.  Power cycle your printer and verify it has the new steps/mm values.

Regarding the calibration cube, if you can't fix it by changing cura settings then just fix it in CAD.  You may fix it for the position of the cube at a particular spot but if you move the 30mm calibration cube to the right by 10mm you will probably get different sizes because your pulleys probably are 0.3mm out of center (the hole drilled in the center - if not perfect you get increasing and decreasong steps/mm as you move across the printer).  Or one of 100 other possible issues.  Like cooling (if fan is assymetrical you get assymetrical results on the part), underextrusion, order of print (outer walls first?  Last?) coasting feature, linear advance, and 100 other settings.