Is it possible to control (and vary) the fan speed, nozzle temperature and bed temperature through Cura?

Posted · Is it possible to control (and vary) the fan speed, nozzle temperature and bed temperature through Cura?

Hi, I hope that I have the right forum area for this, but I'd like to know if anyone has made a way to control the fan speed during a print?

I can look at writing an extension, if that is possible for Cura and once I'm pointed to a getting started guide, but I'd like to be able to set the fan speed and bed temperature for the first few layers to off (which I think happens already) so that the adhesion is good. Then as the print goes up (and seeings that I'm using a basic bed) there is little point keeping the bed warm after about 5 layers, then there are areas that I need better strength between layers of disabling or lower the fans and raising the nozzle temperature would make sense, then further through the last print, a thin handle which needed higher heat to stick better but cooling...

I could see, even just a set of basic controls would be good... i.e. LAYERS 1-5: FAN 0, LAYERS 5-N: FANS 100 BED 0, LAYERS 70-N NOZZLE +20.... that sort of thing... maybe even a last one like LAYERS N: BED 70 so that in my case its softer to remove.

A simple 'recommended' style for this would be Fans based on layer filament, so lower filament layers get cooled quicker than the more solid surface layers. I can imagine this causing a few problems in some prints, but theres probably a sweet spot where it takes the fans down a little.

Anyway, thats the ramble over, any pointers would be great, or if theres already settings for this, please let me know.

Posted (edited) · Is it possible to control (and vary) the fan speed, nozzle temperature and bed temperature through Cura?

I've written a little app (for Windows only) that moves some of the functions from the LCD button to a laptop or computer.

It requires a data capable USB connection to the printer.

There is a readme file included.  It's not a complicated app.

The App is unsigned so you may have to fool your anti-virus into allowing it to install.

Pronterface/Printrun is also an option.  I went for a simpler interface.  If your interested I'll post it.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Is it possible to control (and vary) the fan speed, nozzle temperature and bed temperature through Cura?

Thanks @GregValiant Unfortunately I'm a mac user, but thank you.

I'm also keen to work with the Cura program, as opposed to alongside or in place of. From a notices' perspective, it seems like simple addition gcode at the right point so should be easy enough to inject in.

See Extesions -> Post Processing -> Modify G-code

Then add a "Change at Z" script, and specify what you want to change at what layer or height.