Wavy Layer Lines

Posted · Wavy Layer Lines

I have a weird issue that Ive never seen before.  ON some taller parts, Ive been noticing that the layer lines start to get "wavy."  While this term is typically a speed/vibration issue, I dont think this is my situation.  As you can see, it almost looks more like Z wobble, potentially a bent lead screw.  But those wider layers are actually wider ALL THE WAY AROUND the part. (not just one side, indicating wobble)

Originally, I had thought my belts were worn out, since I had 6500+ hours on the machine, but I just replaced all the belts and blocks and the issue remains.  Any ideas on what I should look for or what to test?

ps: Ill be out of the office for a few days, so if I don't respond right away, I didn't abandon this post. :-)

PXL_20220412_181137912.jpg

Could this be a result of a badly PID-tuned hot-end? So the layers are printed at different filament temperatures causing uneven cooling/shrinkage over the layers? I have no idea why the base would be good like it is now but I saw something like this once and that was solved by a PID-tune of the hot-end.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:02 PM, Mechatron127 said:

Could this be a result of a badly PID-tuned hot-end? So the layers are printed at different filament temperatures causing uneven cooling/shrinkage over the layers? I have no idea why the base would be good like it is now but I saw something like this once and that was solved by a PID-tune of the hot-end.

Interesting, ill look into that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

That can be down to a number of stuff.

• lose belts
    • uneven belt tension 
    • to fast a print speed ( doing the small parts your printer will be doing more jerk movments vs when its doing the bigger parts)
    • retraction (if you got it on, being to much so you get uneven layers due to the a uneven flow)

I would check all the belt tension feels even, make sure all the grub screws in the pully's are all tight so they not slipping on fast jerks, clean and oil all the rods and make sure the print hand feels like its moving around with the same force by hand.