When trying to print an STL File found online, chunks are continuously missing when slicing is attempted

Root720

Posted · When trying to print an STL File found online, chunks are continuously missing when slicing is attempted

Hello! I am looking to print out the following file laying on its side as a piece to decorate my graduation cap, but whenever I go to print it, it is consistently missing chunks of it. When standing vertical, it misses pieces of the bell, when on its side the entire bell is gone. Is there anything I am missing, any way I can repair the file, anything like that? All help is greatly appreciated!

Saxophone Half.stl

Posted · When trying to print an STL File found online, chunks are continuously missing when slicing is attempted

Well this would do it...
    -> Analyzed your file:
    --> 2041 Naked edges (?)
    --> 35 Planar holes (?)
    --> 91 Non-planar holes (?)
    --> 1 Non-manifold edges (?)
    --> 51 Inverted faces (?)
    --> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
    --> 2 Duplicate faces (?)
    --> 0 Disjoint shells (?)

-> Vertex count changed from 39462 to 48011 (+8549)
    -> Triangle count changed from 76715 to 97056 (+20341)

The web service was able to repair it.  Whether it's right or not I don't know.  Your model is on the right.  The pink areas indicate errors.

image.thumb.png.2d62e5039673a886df7f6286ce5aa501.png

You won't print this with a .4 nozzle at 100% scale.  You would need to go to 200% to have a chance and the line width would need to be .35.  A .2 nozzle would be a better choice at full scale.  Some of the supports would be difficult to remove without trashing the print.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Well this would do it...
    -> Analyzed your file:
    --> 2041 Naked edges (?)
    --> 35 Planar holes (?)
    --> 91 Non-planar holes (?)
    --> 1 Non-manifold edges (?)
    --> 51 Inverted faces (?)
    --> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
    --> 2 Duplicate faces (?)
    --> 0 Disjoint shells (?)

-> Vertex count changed from 39462 to 48011 (+8549)
    -> Triangle count changed from 76715 to 97056 (+20341)

The web service was able to repair it.  Whether it's right or not I don't know.  Your model is on the right.  The pink areas indicate errors.

image.thumb.png.2d62e5039673a886df7f6286ce5aa501.png

You won't print this with a .4 nozzle at 100% scale.  You would need to go to 200% to have a chance and the line width would need to be .35.  A .2 nozzle would be a better choice at full scale.  Some of the supports would be difficult to remove without trashing the print.

Okay thankyou so much! Interior didn't matter as much, as I was just using it for the shape! I wasnt sure how to go about repairing or anything like this so this helps a lot!!!

Posted (edited) · When trying to print an STL File found online, chunks are continuously missing when slicing is attempted

MS 3D Builder was able to repair it also.

Since it's for a good cause here is your graduation present.  The support blocker is configured as a cutting mesh to keep all the little things that don't print well from printing at all.  I think it would look pretty good in Silky Gold filament.

GV_Sax.3mf

Edited by GregValiant