Dual Extrusion Issue

DTMorton89

Posted (edited) · Dual Extrusion Issue

This issue seems to be something unfindable on google so, hoping someone here knows my issue. I'm sure its way simpler than it should be but I can not figure it out. I have 5.0 open at the moment with 2 separate STL's . 1 part is supposed to lay on top of the other one, and I have an IDEX machine so they can be different colors/materials if I want. No matter what I do i can't get the parts in the same place with 1 on top of the other one. The 2nd stl just always pulls itself to the build plate. I can't put supports under it , I can't merge them then move it. I really don't know what to do but I don't feel like this type of alignment shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do. Why can't any part just be lifted off the build plate and then told to build support under it. Because that's what i imagine should happen but it won't let me do that. Any help is appreciated. 

Edit: to clarify I haven't even tried printing anything. I read back what I wrote and I can see how someone might think I mean a physical build plate. I haven't even pushed the slice button yet because I can't get them to align in the program so, that's where I'm at just for clarity. 

Edited by DTMorton89

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    Posted · Dual Extrusion Issue

I am also unable to load multiple models into Cura while keeping the coordinate system.

I unchecked the box for "Automatically drop models to the build plate", but it still wants to arrange the models.

Posted · Dual Extrusion Issue

I haven't done a dual STL print an a while but you can certainly do it.  I think you have to also uncheck "ensure models are kept apart".  That's also in preferences (not in the settings).

Also try selecting 2 models, right clicking and try to do "group" or "merge".  I forget what those do as well.

Sorry I don't remember how to do this but hopefully my thoughts will help.

Oh - and you can assign each model to a different extruder.  Maybe that helps?