Rotating in Meshmixer?

yellowshark

Posted · Rotating in Meshmixer?

Hi I know some of you use Meshmixer so I thought I would post this here. I want to generate supports for a piece I am struggling with.

I downloaded from the Autodesk site; it does not say vs 2 it says vs 9001. I can see it has at least one difference to the version used by Illuminarti in his Extrudable.me posting dated 13 Dec. 2013. Do I have the right version?

I have found the support tool but I need to turn my piece upside down for printing and I think I need to do this before using the support tool. But I cannot find a tool in Meshmixer for rotating, normally for me around the X or Y axis. Can you point me in the right direction?

Go to Edit>Transform

Here is a list of useful Meshmixer sources:

I found this video to be very helpful in actually constructing the supports:

illuminarti's thread about meshmixer is very useful:

http://umforum.ultim...nerate-support/

These two blog posts of illuminarti's, directly address meshmixer usage and tips.

http://www.extrudabl...upporting-role/

http://www.extrudabl...-dragon-part-2/

There is also the meshmixer forum:

http://meshmixer.com/forum/index.php

I also have a couple of tips, garnered from the forum and just messing around with the program.

1. If you don't get enough support contact locations, check to see that your tip diameter is not too large as a function of the number of layers used to generate the tip, as this will prevent neighboring tips from being generated.

2. To make supports that contact the build surface, you have to click an existing support structure or support node generally where you want a support structure on the build surface, and hope the program generates the right support structure in approximately the right place on the build surface; then you can delete all your failed attempts :???: , and build upon the support structure that approximated what you wanted. The auto support function is a little buggy, but the workaround may be worth it.

The last time I downloaded the software was around late December, and "v9001" was in the name as well.

Go to Edit>Transform

The remainder of the information can be disregarded, but may be helpful as yellowshark seems like he/she may be new to Meshmixer and the links I supplied helped me significantly.

Thanks guys, what can I say. Sometimes you cannot have enough information, sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees J J. Either way your quick responses are much appreciated J

Aaron, yes I have never used/seen it before so I am sure the other info will be a useful read once I have got the support function working.

Illuminarti’s review says “you need to start by using the ‘Edit -> Transform‘ and ‘Analysis -> Units/Scale‘ tools to get the print properly oriented on the bed, and scaled to the finished print size."

Having just looked at this again (I read it real quick the first time), I can see I read it incorrectly, thinking that “Analysis” was a sub menu of “Transform”, which I found on loading the software was not the case – of course Illuminarti never said that, doh! So I guess they are indeed the same as you have the same vs. number as I do.

I tried “Transform” but gave up immediately as it changes the dimensions. Now, looking at it again I see I can turn a piece upside down – not sure what I did but no doubt I can do it again!

I assume therefore that you do that first and then go to “Units/scale” to set the dimensions back to what they should be – not the smartest piece of software for rotating a piece in my view!! Actually I guess the first step is to go “Units/scale” and write down what the measurements are before starting to transform. So 3 steps when all the other software I use it is just one step.

But I guess I will just have to do it L

Mind you in the interim I went back to Solidworks and added some supports myself which seem to have worked very well. I just need to do some filing in the morning to clean up the two “joined surfaces” to satisfy myself.

Once in translate mode, don't scale the part. Only rotate it. The rotation handles are different. And then (again help in illuminarti's article) there are tick marks - if you hover over those you can rotat exactly 90.0 degrees instead of 89.7 or whatever.

Ok, got it :cool: Not immediately obvious how you do it but I got there. Many thanks.