Help improving "goopiness" in small circles? UM2

Posted · Help improving "goopiness" in small circles? UM2
I would like some help figuring out why some small circles in my models keep ending up all... "goopy" as shown in the pictures.

I feel like it has been this way for a while and can't quite figure out what is causing it.

To me it looks like something to do with extrusion/retraction. Where the rest of the print is fine. But when a far away hole needs some filament the slicer retracts, moves, but the path is so short by the time the filament is actually being extruded the path is over so it never quite gets enough and looks "goopy".

I have attached some screenshots of my settings as well as steps I have performed. Open to trying anything out to improve this so please feel free to chime in. Thank you!

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 12.09.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 12.09.26 PM.png

Bondtech extruder might need different E step settings. Don't know about this model but website should tell you more. 

And your line width states 0.6mm , why is that, you have a custom nozzle?

• Thanks 1

Good call on the extruder!

Should I update the firmware on the entire machine then do that step?

Line width is 0.6 as that is the size of my nozzle, 0.6mm.

Thank you!

I personally installed firmware called Cura Master on my UM2, it has so much extra functionality including the entering of e-steps with the dial. Also testing the extrusion by marking 10cm of filament and use the move function that can move the filament and display how many milimeter it should have moved.

• Like 1

Thanks @phantom those are some great tips I will check into that!

Are there any compatibility issues with that firmware I should be aware of? Is it also a different version of CURA?

Its a modded version of Cura. I haven't experienced any issues with the firmware and everything works as normal, just with a lot more options. You can find it here for several um2 printers https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

Tinkergnome made it and is still active here. There's enough info on this forum to get you going.