Extreme under extrusion on Ultimaker S5

b0tlike

Posted · Extreme under extrusion on Ultimaker S5

Hi guys,

As you can see in the attached image, there is an severe underextrusion issue with my Ultimaker S5 on printcore A.

I'm using Ultimaker Tough PLA red and Ultimaker PVA on printcore B which seems to be printing okay. 

I use Cura 13.1 as slicer, the latest firmware for the printer (also tried the stable build, no difference) and use the preset setting for the materials. 

I tried cleaning and exchanging the print core, I cleaned the feeders and I replaced the tube between feeder and head.  

DOes anybody have any idea what is causing this issue and how to fix it?  

IMG_0171.jpg

Did it use to work, and which changes did you made?

What material are you using? Do you have all settings in Cura set to default?

is the feeder tension indicator in the middle?

6 hours ago, tomnagel said:

Did it use to work, and which changes did you made?

What material are you using? Do you have all settings in Cura set to default?

is the feeder tension indicator in the middle?

It did use to work for over a year. I don't remember making any specific change - a little while ago I replaced some tubes and did an extensive cleaning, but it did finish multiple prints successfully afterwards. 

As written in my post, I use Ultimaker Tough PLA and have the settings set to default. The feeder tension indicator is right below the middle line. 

21 hours ago, tomnagel said:

I did try everything written there. I checked the filament for Knurling and it looks fine after passing the feeder. Will buy new print heads and see if that changes anything... 

Check for cracked filament.  Sometimes filament gets brittle and cracks in the bowden and when the crack/junction reaches certain spots/transitions it gets stuck in the print head.

Test the feeder by fighting it - on the screen menu choose middle menu on left and choose a filament type (top left/top right) then in top right corner click the "..." and choose MOVE.  Retract the filament well out of the head then move it forward while fighting it with your other hand behind the printer.  The feeders can pull the filament with about 15 pounds of force.  Anything over 10 pounds (5kg) is excellent.  Try lifting a 10 pound/5kg weight with the same hand to compare forces.  Or hold a 10 pounds weight gripping it to the filament below the feeder.