Cura 5.0.0 installation problems

DennisL

Posted · Cura 5.0.0 installation problems

I have a Windows 7  64bit computer.  I downloaded & installed Cura 5.0.0 and tried to run it.  I got 2 error messages (more below) which prevented the program from opening.  Searching for help produced a user who recommended installing to a different directory which I tried to no avail.  Another user stated that Cura would normally include in the download any .dll files required but it seems the one I need is not included in the download.

The two error messages:

image.png.71585f91b841c23ab9dff55b40333a53.png

and

image.png.bf340d1951a1f4fa00c990631f689522.png

I do not have the api-ms-core-path.i1-1-0.dll file on my computer and I am reluctant to upload it from the many unknown sources that offer it on the internet.  I am not even sure if there are different versions of the file and which one I would need.  Does Cura have a copy I can download or can somebody recommend a safe site from which I can download the file? I have already tried repairing my system files and installing the latest (2022) Visual C++ Redistributable without success.

The second error message is also strange because the python310.dll file is in the directory referred to in the message.  Perhaps the file is corrupted.  Can I download just that file from Cura?

Any help will be welcome

Cura 5.0 can't run on windows 7, sorry. Windows 7 has been end of life for over two years now and in order to continue to support newer systems, we have to drop support for older stuff. The python version that we need (also for security reasons) can't run on windows 7.

I would strongly recommend you to upgrade to at least windows 10, as windows 7 is a security issue waiting to happen.

• Confused 1

Seriously? You consider Windows 7 "OLDER STUFF"?

Have you got any idea on the amount of computers (many of them offline, so no "security issues" there) still use windows 7 on the premise of "if it works great, why mess with it"? Have you got any idea how many engineers avoid windows 10-11 like the plague, because they prefer an operating system that doesn't break something important after every second update? Windows in general are a security issue waiting to happen, 7, 10, or 11 doesn't change that much.

Also, would you care to finance my computer's hardware and/or software upgrade? I would guess no.

Speaking for myself, considering the time and effort required to make the transition, it has to be something really important that will push me there. I am sorry to say, your slicer is not that important. Given the maturity of your competitor slicers, changing slicer is much more convenient for me than changing OS. If and when I do it, I might give your software a shot again. But given the annoying attitude, it will have to offer something EXTREMELY far ahead than the competition at that time.

13 hours ago, pnpgr said:

Seriously? You consider Windows 7 "OLDER STUFF"?

Yes. It's been end of life since January 2020, which means that it's been more than two years that microsoft has stopped supporting it.

13 hours ago, pnpgr said:

Also, would you care to finance my computer's hardware and/or software upgrade? I would guess no.

Would you care to finance the development of Cura to continue supporting windows 7? I would guess no. If I am wrong about that, I can get you in contact with the right people to discuss the payment options. I am sure that everyone would

be very happy with your generous support of open source 🙂

Simply put; We had to chose between making Cura secure, faster and making it work on new apple machines or continue to support an outdated operating system. Not only that, it would mean a continued burden of keeping it maintained. We're not talking about a few hours of work here, but hundreds of hours. I entirely understand that it's frustrating that 5.0 doesn't support windows 7, but I don't really see a different choice.

• Like 2

I am curious, what has the data you are collecting from your users tell you about the percentage of people that still use W7? I am genuinely interested, can you provide numbers?

And by all means, if your company is in such a state that is in need of my funding, I would be happy to assist you in any way I can. Yes, please do provide the contacts, but for both the financing and for technical departments, I would be interested to discuss with them about the details of this situation.

If you really think Windows 10 and 11 are secure OSs and you feel safe with them, well, good luck with that. And if your software is such a construct that you cannot ensure safety and speed without breaking compatibility, it is THEN that I am really worried about about it's safety. To me it is seems the real reason for the whole thing is your selection of Python as a core language and that's what is dragging you to such decisions. I might be mistaken of course, as I only do software engineering as a side job and I am not an expert.

As I said, luckily, there are other slicers out there that do a fine job. I am quite sure you couldn't care less about how I or others feel or what we do about it, but perhaps if you start loosing users, you might start listening.

lost me as an avid user. Seems W7 64bit is still very much alive and still recieves upddates from M/Soft. Basically tells me you dont want people with a machine that is older than 2 years. way to go team dissapointment. Absolutly disgusting behavior on the part of the team.

I am attempting to install Cura5 on my Chromebook and am receiving the following message:

[5087] Error loading Python lib '/tmp/.mount_Cura-5y4X3IT/libpython3.10.so.1.0': dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Cura-5y4X3IT/libpython3.10.so.1.0)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I had 4.8.0 working fine.  Installed 5.0 (which says NOTHING about it being incompatible with Windows 7).  Now 5.0 doesn't work, and 4.8.0 doesn't work.
    If you think Windows 7 is not being used anymore, think again.  I have a Windows 7 computer that works extremely well.  I am not going to go out and buy a Windows 10 computer to use Cura 5.0.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:47 AM, nallath said:

Cura 5.0 can't run on windows 7, sorry. Windows 7 has been end of life for over two years now and in order to continue to support newer systems, we have to drop support for older stuff. The python version that we need (also for security reasons) can't run on windows 7.

I would strongly recommend you to upgrade to at least windows 10, as windows 7 is a security issue waiting to happen.

What a crock!  

I use PCB Design software, DipTrace, that supports Windows XP thru 11.  There are many Win7 computers out there still being used (mine included).  Like others have said "It's not a security risk if it doesn't have a network connection."  We are NOT all going to upgrade just to run Cura.  There are other slicers.

3 hours ago, BeachTech said:

I had 4.8.0 working fine.  Installed 5.0 (which says NOTHING about it being incompatible with Windows 7).  Now 5.0 doesn't work, and 4.8.0 doesn't work.
    If you think Windows 7 is not being used anymore, think again.  I have a Windows 7 computer that works extremely well.  I am not going to go out and buy a Windows 10 computer to use Cura 5.0.

I also had problems getting Cura to complete its initial install and startup.  Mostly the startup would halt/crash.  Somehow through re-installing older versions (i.e. version 4.6 and 4.13.1) I have been able to get 4.13.1 to run on Win7.  Try removing all versions of Cura, then install and remove 4.6, and finally install 4.13.1.  That worked for me.  Don't know why.

I was never able to install 4.13.0 properly (so skip over that version).

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.0.0 installation problems

Another example that Cura just loves to dismiss user comments and feedback!

Just like my old request make a simple change to add 'touchpad' support for laptop users.

I would like them use a laptop without a mouse for a week to see how hard it is to move the point-of-view of the build plate.  Just being able to pan and rotate while just holding the Shift and Alt keys and running your finger on the touchpad would be sooo much easier.  Shift-mouse click always selects the model instead allowing you to pan.  You have to find a way to get the mouse off the model just to pan.

I suppose they don't support laptops either?

Edited by MarkF

13 hours ago, BeachTech said:

Thanks for the warning.  The main PC in our home office is still Win 7 due to a couple of applications.  I'm glad I tried 5.00 (and backed out) on the Linux machine in the bedroom.

(And, if you have a good restore point, you should be able to back down to the state the machine was in before the abortive 5.00 install.)

Edited by jsw

On 5/27/2022 at 12:36 AM, MarkF said:

Another example that Cura just loves to dismiss user comments and feedback!

Love? What makes you say that?

Let me word it differently; DO you think that the bank enjoys it that your payment bounces because of too little money? I doubt that 😉 I don't like saying that people can't have something, but sometimes it's the only answer I can give given all the other constraints.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:26 AM, MarkF said:

What a crock!  

I use PCB Design software, DipTrace, that supports Windows XP thru 11.  There are many Win7 computers out there still being used (mine included).  Like others have said "It's not a security risk if it doesn't have a network connection."  We are NOT all going to upgrade just to run Cura.  There are other slicers.

You are cherry-picking a single argument that I gave and pretending that that is my entire argument. Security isn't the only reason. And yes, there are mitigations to it. There always are. The question is never about "is it at all possible" but "Is it possible given the other things we also need to do"

On 5/27/2022 at 12:36 AM, MarkF said:

Just like my old request make a simple change to add 'touchpad' support for laptop users.

I keep sounding like a broken record player, but I'm going to try again. It's not about if it's possible or doable. It's about having 200+ more things that can be changed / fixed / improved / implemented. So we have to consider how many people do this (a handfull) and how much work it would be (some). Since that isn't the greatest "bang for your buck", other things are likely to get priority from Ultimaker developers.

Since it's simple, i'd also love to see your stab at implementing it btw! I think a number of users would appreciate it. If you make a pull request, i will put that at the top of things to review 🙂

It's not a full fix, but you can use the arrow keys to move the camera.

9 hours ago, nallath said:

You are cherry-picking a single argument that I gave and pretending that that is my entire argument. Security isn't the only reason. And yes, there are mitigations to it. There always are. The question is never about "is it at all possible" but "Is it possible given the other things we also need to do"

Security are your reasons.  Not mine.

My argument is that if other companies can support all these operating systems and still not drop older versions of Windows, you should be able to also.  This whole topic is users complaining about dropping support for Windows 7.  Just because Micosoft does something is not a reason for you to do something.  For many Cura users, upgrading to the latest Windows is NOT an option!

9 hours ago, nallath said:

On 5/26/2022 at 6:36 PM, MarkF said:

I keep sounding like a broken record player, but I'm going to try again. It's not about if it's possible or doable. It's about having 200+ more things that can be changed / fixed / improved / implemented. So we have to consider how many people do this (a handfull) and how much work it would be (some). Since that isn't the greatest "bang for your buck", other things are likely to get priority from Ultimaker developers.

Since it's simple, i'd also love to see your stab at implementing it btw! I think a number of users would appreciate it. If you make a pull request, i will put that at the top of things to review.

The issue is that my suggestion was summarily dismissed.  Never seriously considered.  (Just like you are doing.  Can't be bothered.)

Since it's so simple, why not just implement the capability?  Couldn't find a hour during the last several years to slip in? 

And YES, I downloaded the Cura source code and spent several days searching through 1000s of lines of code to implement the capability.  I believe I got close but eventually gave up.  Besides, setting up the Cura build environment and all the libraries is just too much for a non-developer.

Now that you've drop support for Win7, the whole effort is pointless.

At some point, I will just migrate away from Cura.

Edited by MarkF

I think you're just purposefully misrepresenting the arguments that I've posted. I understand that you're frustrated, but this is clearly not a discussion that is going anywhere.

So good luck with another slicer. There are a lot of good ones out there and I hope it solves the issues that you have.

Are you for real? Complaining that W7 is dropped from being supported by Cura?

I fully support their decision to ditch this OS and spend time on fixing issues for W10/11 users and come with improvements. The world move on. 

@Cura: One thing I wish you fix is to drop the use of 2 installers (exe and msi for enterprise edition) and have only 1. The one should use MSI for Windows based PC for easier deployment in organizations. Today the MSI version is still on 4.x and the 5.0.0 version do not work properly. It do not add a shortcut to my desktop, nor does it add proper uninstall keys in registry. I cannot allow my users to upgrade to this version before it is fixed. Even better would be to ditch these old legacy installers and provide it only as a Windows 10/11 (aka "modern") app (in the app store). Since you do not plan to support W7, modern app is a good way.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:01 AM, nallath said:

I think you're just purposefully misrepresenting the arguments that I've posted. I understand that you're frustrated, but this is clearly not a discussion that is going anywhere.

So good luck with another slicer. There are a lot of good ones out there and I hope it solves the issues that you have.

WOW haha, no way. But OK. No one will make me to switch to that crippled pile of stinking *poop* that is Windows 10 and higher. 

You alone and your company have to think that too when you need so much resources to make Cura running on win 10 and newer haha.

Yes there are alternatives and we are happy to explore. Cura is not doing anything special :) as well as Ultimaker.

I have the same issue.  Also on windows 7 and I agree with the first poster.  

The reason I was reinstalling windows 7 was because my Windows 10 laptop would not run Cura due to not finding Open GL 2.0 drivers.  So I am stuffed either way.  😞

regards   Andy T

SO now I have installed Windows 10 I get a different error when trying to install cura 5.

Install error 1073741839  whats all that about?

I just want to add to the Windows 7 / Windows 10 debate. I'm not complaining, I didn't pay a cent for Cura, so I have no right to. Personally, I abhor Windows 10 or 11 so much that I bought a cheap, slow, small laptop just to run my accounting program, which only runs on 10 upwards, but other than that, I will preferably never upgrade from 7 on my work computer. I've been through a lifetime of Windows upgrades, enough is enough. Anyway, my old Cura works well enough, thank you all for that.

Edited by tigger_na

8 hours ago, tigger_na said:

I will preferably never upgrade from 7 on my work computer.

@tigger_na, I know this won't change your mind, but for the sake of others, I feel obligated to state this as advice:

DON'T DO THIS

Microsoft stopped releasing security updates to consumers over four years ago. Enterprise customers with extended service agreements stopped receiving security updates over a year ago. Running an operating system with well known security vulnerabilities is a very, very bad idea.

8 hours ago, tigger_na said:

Personally, I abhor Windows 10 or 11

IMO, Windows 10 is fine. Windows 11 is less of an operating system and more an interactive uncontrollable funnel to Microsoft's services and subscription.

• Like 1