S5 print anomalies only show up in the first 40 mm from the front edge of the build plate!

Posted · S5 print anomalies only show up in the first 40 mm from the front edge of the build plate!

Hello!

I have this weird issue where the print is lumpy only in one place in the entire build space, right about 40 mm in from the front of the build plate. The layers seem to be randomly placed in the Y axis and create undercuts and blobs.

I am going to try and purposely print a tube at that exact spot and one further back but directly in line with the first. Maybe two on each side too for good measure. So I will start those prints Sunday when the current jobs are finished.

I hope one of you might have th answer and save me doing test prints all day Sunday...

blobs-3.jpg

blobs-2.jpg

blobs-1.jpg

Posted (edited) · S5 print anomalies only show up in the first 40 mm from the front edge of the build plate!

Two images above are from the front and the third is from the back showing the rest of the print is technically "perfect."

Also, using Cura 5

Edited by subnoizellc
    Additional info

Posted (edited) · S5 print anomalies only show up in the first 40 mm from the front edge of the build plate!

For the record, Ultimaker tech support told me it was my belts. That they were worn out and had to be replaced. BUT, I figure it out!

No, the belts were not worn out, the gt2 pulley (some call them 2gt, whatever) was set on the stepper shaft so far out it was causing the belt's teeth to not seat fully on the pulley and caused extra wear on the belt. As the teeth on the belt wore off over the past year it was able to lose home and shift creating blobs and undercuts.

Since I adjusted the pulley on the stepper my S5 is printing for the first time without a consistent clicking sound. The layers look properly aligned as well.

So for the past year they have been telling me the shedding was the belt "wearing in" until the print errors got so extreme that they couldn't ignore it. Then it was "the belt is worn out." I never touched it because the printer was under warranty and I didn't want to break that warranty.

Beautiful printer, poorly assembled, terrible customer service. Ultimaker is poorly served by their USA office.

Edited by subnoizellc
    grammer