Heat bed and nozzle together via usb print

GDRPrint

Posted (edited) · Heat bed and nozzle together via usb print

Can Cura 5 heat the bed and nozzle at the same time, while printing via usb?

I have tried various iterations of code to no avail.

Version 5 is working very well, thank you !! Terrific features and new additions !

Thank you

Edited by GDRPrint
spelling

• GDRPrint changed the title to Heat bed and nozzle together via usb print
    Posted (edited) · Heat bed and nozzle together via usb print

No difference between printing via usb or sd card. To configure cura to heat the nozzle and the build plate , you must install the machine settings plugin of @fieldOfView to get access to the hidden machine parameter , and you will have an option to activate/desactivate to wait the nozzle or the build plate have reach the right temperature before to execute the program.

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/fieldofview/PrinterSettingsPlugin

image.png.a4da3f4f435b4407fb9b8ebbb17f502f.png

Edited by Cuq

Posted · Heat bed and nozzle together via usb print
    32 minutes ago, Cuq said:

To configure cura to heat the nozzle and the build plate , you must install the machine settings plugin of @fieldOfView 

I don't mind the endorsement of my plugin, but you should not need it to change the start gcode snippet.

6 hours ago, GDRPrint said:

I have tried various iterations of code to no avail.

This does not really tell us much. Please give an example of a gcode snippet you used, and how it did not work (what went differently than you expected?).

This always bugs me too so I had a look at the generated gcode from V5:

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 5.0.0
    M140 S50 ; set bed temperature 50
    M105 ; Report temperatures
    M190 S50 ; Wait for bed to heat up to 50
    M104 S200 ; set extruder temperature 200
    M109 S200 ; Wait for extruder to heat up to 200

It seems to consider bed and extruder temperatures as two unrelated settings and generates boiler plate code for each. Would a better method be to consider all initial heating requirements as a single unit and do something like this:

; Better option
    M140 S50 ; set bed temperature 50
    M104 S200 ; set extruder temperature 200
    M109 S200 ; Wait for extruder to heat up to 200
    M190 S50 ; Wait for bed to heat up to 50 -- will probably already be at temperature and therefore redundant but good to check

If there are more things to heat up on some machines like a second extruder or a cabinet then all the SETs are grouped at the beginning in any order and the WAITs are grouped at the end in order from hottest to coolest.

Not all printers or power supplies can take the power load of the bed and hot end heating at the same time.  In many cases that power passes through the mainboard.  It's possible it could lead to situations like this that occurred with my Ender 3 Pro.

DSCN2577.thumb.JPG.0e3931ba27f04d41794746d7a9494a4e.JPG

The cause was high resistance heating brought on by shrinkage of the tinned ends of the main 24v power leads.  That was caused by the constant heating and cooling of the soldered ends of the wire that were constrained by the brass parts of the connector on the mainboard and THAT was caused by the high power requirements of the hot end and bed.  It is safer to allow the startup load of one of the units to complete before adding in the startup load of the other unit.

That being said, it is a simple change to the StartUp Gcode to get both to heat at the same time.  If you add the heating to your StartUp Gcode using "replacement patterns" then Cura doesn't add heating before the StartUp Gcode.  These three lines heat both units at the same time:

M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Start to heat the hot end

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;heat the bed and wait for it

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;wait for the hot end just in case it didn't reach the set point

This is one way to do it for an ABL system:

M104 S150 ; heat the hot end below ooze temperature

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;heat the bed and wait for it

M109 S150 ;wait for the hot end just in case

G28 ;Auto-Home all axes

G29 ;ABL command whatever it is

M420 ;maybe this is required for the ABL

G1 Z5 F1800 ;get up off the bed (normally used for cats)

G1 X0 Y0 F3000 ;move to the corner to ooze

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;finish heating the hot end and wait for it.

I recently added these two power units to my printer.  Now the mainboard just sends a signal to them and the power goes through these instead of through the mainboard.  The one on the right is the bed and under the Y beam is the one for the hot end.  The hot end is PWM but the bed is bang-bang like a regular thermostat.  Removing the cycling power surge of the bed from the mainboard can't hurt either.  I picked these up on E-Bay.

DSCN2902.thumb.JPG.8f528b61c366a3517b69549c4ff7c91c.JPG

A cautionary tail indeed! I will leave my settings as they are just in case ...