Disabling Core 2 leads to higher Printing Time

BeneW

Posted · Disabling Core 2 leads to higher Printing Time

Hello dear forum members,

I've been dealing with Cura for a few months, but now I'm faced with a puzzle that is certainly easy to solve or explain, but I can't understand it at the moment.
I loaded a relatively large part as stl and added support blockers in 3 places because Cura would like to support there, but this is superfluous. As a result, I get exactly what I want in the preview. The problem is now the following: I have "Generic PLA 0.4" as print core #1 and "Generic PLA 0.8" at #2. I don't actually use #2, but it's still enabled. So I want to print with Core #1 and 0.4 mm wall thickness. However, if I now switch off the Core #2 or switch it to "0.4" because I don't actually need it, the expected print time increases enormously! This is probably due to the fact that the support blockers then seem to become ineffective because the support that I don't want is suddenly displayed again. Why is that?

I thank you in advance for your help!

40 minutes ago, nallath said:

It's impossible to say without sharing a project file. There are just too many things that could cause this.

Thanks for the answer, but I found the problem. The problem is not only with Cura, but rather with the construction. If 2 edges are exactly on top of each other with a gap in between and you only block the support up to the lower edge, Cura still wants to support the upper edge. That's why I just shifted it a bit inwards, so that the support from edge 1 to edge 2 also seems sufficient for Cura.

Keep in mind that support blocker is not intuitive.  You would think that within the volume of the support blocker... there would be no support.  That's not how it works.

Instead if you look at your part in PREPARE mode you will see some red areas - those are overhangs.  The support blocker only needs to contain the red area that you want to not support.

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

Keep in mind that support blocker is not intuitive.  You would think that within the volume of the support blocker... there would be no support.  That's not how it works.

Instead if you look at your part in PREPARE mode you will see some red areas - those are overhangs.  The support blocker only needs to contain the red area that you want to not support.

That wasn't the problem, it was what I described plus the fact that the Support Blocker doesn't cover its full volume. If you oversize a bit, it suddenly works. I have already noticed that the block only has to cover the surfaces on the component that are to be supported. But I appreciate that you wanted to help me. Thanks!