Make Overhang Printable Exclusion Area

tekmouse

Posted · Make Overhang Printable Exclusion Area

Hey all,

The 'Make Overhang Printable' feature is an amazing feature that I am trying to work with. My print needs to have this option for the base but not for one area above the plate. The picture shows the base has been optimized and has removed the overhang, but highlighted in yellow I am showing where I would not like it to apply to. How can I exclude this area?
I have tried adding supports to that area and it applies the 'Make Overhang Printable' on that portion of the print anyway.
Is there a way to set a minimum distance to exclude this area? Or perhaps, should I be adding this as a request to be able to export this newly sliced file so I could keep the changes and edit the portion I don't want changed, bring it back into Cura, then add supports and NOT do 'Make Overhang Printable'?

This feature is fantastic for my case, and if I can fine tune it my world would be changed! 🙂

Thank you,

Overhang Exclusion.PNG

I think it would need to be a feature request over on GitHub.  It isn't effective as a per-model setting and so maybe shouldn't be on the list of settings you can pick.

If you have played with "Maximum Model Angle" and "Maximum Overhang Hole Area" and aren't seeing what you want then you may have to alter the model so that the areas that require "make overhang printable" do not need it.

"Make overhang printable" can be a nice tool in your 3d printing toolbelt, but it is not magic and you should always consider if it would not be better to fix the model in a modeling package.