Printer profiles meta settings

Firewall01

Posted · Printer profiles meta settings

Hello Ultimaker Team!

Since years the standard printer definition file provided by "TheTobby" for the Tevo Black Widow has an error in the metadata section: "has_Materials" is "false" by default.

So with every new Cura version I had to change the definition file "tevo_blackwidow.def.json" manually to "true", since it seems that it isn't maintained any more by the original company.

However with Cura 5.0.0 the definitions are no longer in a directory "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura xyz\resources\definitions". Instead it seems, that these definitions have gone into a database.

Where can I change the appropriate setting so that I can access all the material definitions?

It would be great if this setting could be changed by default in the future.

Best regards

Chris

The resource folder has changed locations a bit. The folder you are looking for can now be found here:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\share\cura\resources\definitions

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
    On 5/30/2022 at 6:15 PM, ahoeben said:

The resource folder has changed locations a bit. The folder you are looking for can now be found here:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\share\cura\resources\definitions

Hi ahoeben. This is a related question. I create Cura profiles and submit the PRs for a certain brand of machines. With V4 I used to test my profiles by dumping them into the resources folder and then running cura and adding the machine from the "other printer" list.

I've just wrapped up work on a new profile but for the life of me I cannot get it to appear on that list in V5. If I take the exact same files and roll the settings versions back to what they should be in V4 the printer will appear on the list in V4 when I add it to the V4 resources folder.

I am adding the files into the correct folder for V5 and I have triple checked that the settings versions are correct. Is there some sort of a new process where new machines cannot be added by just dumping new definition files into the resources folder in V5?

On 9/26/2022 at 8:21 AM, ahoeben said:

You are going to have to adjust the "settings_version" öf the files to match the settings version used by the version of Cura you are "dumping" the files into.

Yup, that is all done. I'm using settings versions that all the other machines in V5.1 are using and it is just not showing up. I've checked that the definition, base definition, extruder, quality and variants files are all using the correct settings versions.

As I mentioned, I have taken the *exact* same files, copied them into the resources folder for V4.13, adjusted the settings versions and boom, it appears.

I've attached the needed files for 5.1 and 4.13. Throw the 4.13 ones into the 4.13 resources folder and you will see it appear. Do the same with 5.1 and, even though the settings versions are correct, there will be nothing.

I know that I must be doing something wrong but I am absolutely stumped as to what it is.

versions.zip

Your cura.log should show why your profiles are not loading in Cura 5.

Probably best to remove the log file, and then start Cura 5 (obviously with your profile files in place).

19 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Your cura.log should show why your profiles are not loading in Cura 5.

Probably best to remove the log file, and then start Cura 5 (obviously with your profile files in place).

Awesome! I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, looxonline said:

I'll check that out.

If it does not make sense, feel free to post a link to the whole cura.log (but please don't copy/paste the whole thing in a comment here; use the "Drag files here to attach" thing).

Posted (edited) · Printer profiles meta settings
    2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

If it does not make sense, feel free to post a link to the whole cura.log (but please don't copy/paste the whole thing in a comment here; use the "Drag files here to attach" thing).

So I checked out the log and I can't seem to find any lines that are ERROR level. All INFO, WARNING or DEBUG. I scanned each line and also could not find anything that is indicating that a definition was found and rejected. Full log of one start up - shut down process is attached.

Couple of things like this:

2022-09-29 21:10:12,153 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [442]: file:///Applications/Ultimaker-Cura.app/Contents/MacOS/share/cura/resources/qml/PrintSetupSelector/Recommended/ProfileWarningReset.qml:53: TypeError: Cannot read property 'name' of null

But other than that it looks clean.

What still blows my mind is that if I take the *exact* same files and roll the settings versions back to 19 (instead of 20 in 5.1) and then drop them into a 4.13 folder the machine shows up immediately in the list in 4.13. I attached the files in the previous post if you are interested. Note that the definition is far from complete as I always first like to get it to appear in the list before I make refinements.

cura.log

Edited by looxonline

On 9/29/2022 at 6:40 PM, ahoeben said:

Just checking in on whether you had a chance to check out the log file.

It does not look like Cura is having an issue with your files, it looks like it is not looking at them at all.

Have you tried putting them in the configuration folder instead of in the application bundle?

On 10/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, ahoeben said:

It does not look like Cura is having an issue with your files, it looks like it is not looking at them at all.

Have you tried putting them in the configuration folder instead of in the application bundle?

Brilliant! Popping it into the config folders instead of into the app bundle worked. This is different behaviour compared to V4.X.Y. Not sure if there is actually any documented method for profile developers to test them before submitting a PR but if there is then it may be useful to include this change in that documentation.

8 minutes ago, looxonline said:

This is different behaviour compared to V4.X.Y.

It has always been a good idea to put custom definitions in the configuration folder. That way they migrate with version updates, and project files keep working when you switch to a new version of Cura.

Hi there!

I have no preconfigured printers in my latest version of cura...i tried to reinstall exe, but theres only geeetech, and just 2 of them.

Its possible that months ago i (never stupid enought) deleted them.....so, could some caritative soul send me that resources folder to restore mine?

It is possible that you installed the "Startup Optimiser" plugin and told it to "Disable loading unused configuration files"

See if there is a "Startup Optimiser" entry in the Extensions menu, and if so select the option "Restore all configuration files" from it. Then restart Cura.