Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
almi

Hubbed Bolt - Filament Engraving Depth

Hi all,

I just wanted to inspire an experience exchange about how deep resp. how strong the hubbed bolt engraves into the filament while extruding.

You can define the "depth" by the little adjustment screw.

It shouldn't be too less engraving (otherwise I found too less extrusion) and probably shouldn't be too strong on the other hand

(The stepper motor would need too much force, and the diameter of the filament changes which could lead into other issues?).

Also I have found out that the engraving doesn't look similar all the time because the hubbing of the screw bolt is very uneven. Could this lead into other issues?

This is how my filament looks like:

Ultimaker_Original__Assembly_Instructions.pdf

Looking forward to some comments.

Cheers,

Andreas

that's the same as mine now. I found no marks, or intermittent marks means under-extrusion. if you tighten the thumbwheel too far it will actually fracture bits of PLA and you'll see chunks missing as it moves up the bowden tube.

I've never personally found the 'oval deformation' problem that some have reported but would imagine it's deeper marks than those shown.

the pattern needs to be nice and regular like you show, it looks a bit like a shoelace, for want of a better comparison.

nik