not watertigth error

stan_partalev

Posted · not watertigth error

Hi Im relatively  new  using ultimaker cura 5 and extension like Mesh tools.

I have a file that i have created and i get the error massage "not watertigth". When i check the model with x-ray i cant see any surfaces that are in red like here 

Can somebody tell me what might be the problem and how can i locate the not watertigth part of the model.

Thanks and i apologise, if this has been already discussed and i missed it. 

Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 14.13.15.png

Serdica map 01.stl

yes, cura says it is not watertight but it seems to slice just fine.  I agree - no red spots.  I zoomed in all around particularly the wall and it all looks fine and slices just fine for me.

So I wouldn't worry about it.

It's possible your normals are wrong/backwards but it slices fine so I'd ignore that.  I tried "fix normals" but it didn't make the "watertight" test any happier.

If the layer view looks fine I would just ignore the error message.

• Like 1

I think the watertight message you get is from the Mesh Tools plugin, not from Cura itself. Mesh Tools uses a different method than what you can see in X-ray view.

X-ray view highlights "unmatched" faces, ie a front that does not have a back. See the figures here: https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/blob/master/resources/articles/troubleshooting/missing_parts.md#non-manifold-meshes

Mesh Tools checks if all edges defined in the mesh are part of exactly two faces. This is a much more "exact" way of testing for watertightness, but for the purposes of slicing with Cura it can lead to false positives when a model includes multiple copies of the same vertex so some "touching" faces don't "connect" on the same edge.

In the case of this model, 3D Builder agrees that it is "invalidly defined" and can repair it, but MeshMixer says there's nothing wrong with it. Different methods of checking.

If you find that Mesh Tools often has false positives for the type of models you print, you can turn off its check after loading models in Extensions ->  Mesh Tools -> Mesh Tools Settings...

• Like 2

If I understand correctly, if there are no visible bugs and if the model is sliced and true the layers everything looks normal, this kind of message, may be misleading and can be ignored. 

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
    Posted (edited) · not watertigth error

I suppose Blender's manifoldness and Mesh Tool's watertightness verification algorithms are significantly different. Most of my Blender models are found not to be watertight in Cura. They print as expected tough.

Edited by lcocea