Steppers damper code

tonycstech

Posted · Steppers damper code

Did u know that if u add M201 X500 Y500 at the end of your Start Code section in CURA, your printer will print quieter ?

I wonder if this applies only to my printer due to its firmware acceleration set to 3000.

It allows fast print, but it also create a ton of problems. Prints are accurate sure, but bearings wear out much faster due to harder impact on motion reverse.

Also entire printer is shaking much more with the default settings.

Having M201 X500 Y500, decreases acceleration to 500 making extruder move quieter.

I have ROBO3D printer and my default acceleration is 3000.

Whats yours ?

When i tweak acceleration rate, should i also tweak jerk rate ? If so, to what degree ?

THanks

The feeder stepper motor for the Ultimaker machines is on the back of the machine so the head is very light weight. The default acceleration is 5000. Some people lower it to 1000 which some people find makes ringing better.

Default jerk I believe is 20mm/sec. That's basically the max instantaneous velocity change at a vertex. So yes, you could lower this proportionately (if you cut one in third, cut the other in third. Maybe).

edit: "velocity change"

Question:

If feeder is all the way in the back and filament is transferred inside the tube, doest it make the filament wobble a bit making extrussion not exact ?

My printer feeder/extruder is right at the top of the nozzle. Am i missing something ? Is extruder the same as feeder ?

The extruder is a "bad naming", people should stop using the name extruder. As the extruder is both the hotend and the feeder in 1.

On an Ultimaker, the material feed is done from the back of the machine, with the motor on the casing. Trough a tube, to the hotend.

On lots of other machines, this feeder is on the head, making the head heavy, causing the problems you describe. Lowering the acceleration to 1000 would be a good idea then.

There is only one motor to drive the filament on an Ultimaker (both 1 and 2). It is mounted on the back of the machine. No motor on the moving head. Only a cooling fans, and heated nozzle there connected with a 'bowden' tube to the extruder drive (with stepper motor) in the back. Because there is no motor on the moving head, it can achieve higher accelerations than printers with motors on the moving head.

See i didnt know there were different types of nozzles. Bowden is not direct feed that i have apparently.

I wonder what are some advantages and disadvantages of both.