Cura 5.1 and Lulzbot TAZ 6

Posted · Cura 5.1 and Lulzbot TAZ 6

I've spent a bunch of time getting Cura 5.1 configured with my Lulzbot TAZ 6. I wanted to share what I have and see if anyone else has found anything else I missed.

Build plate

X: 280mm
Y: 280mm
Z: 250mm

rectangular

Heated bed: yes

Gcode flavor: marlin

Printhead

X min: -20mm
Y min: -10mm
X max: 10mm
Y max: 10mm

Gantry height 250 mm

Apply extruder offsets to GCode: yes

Start gcode

;This G-Code has been generated specifically for the LulzBot TAZ 6 with standard extruder
;Modified by HarlemSquirrel for Cura 5.1
M73 P0 ; clear GLCD progress bar
M75 ; start GLCD timer
G26 ; clear potential 'probe fail' condition
M107 ; disable fans
G90 ; absolute positioning
M420 S0 ; disable previous leveling matrix
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; start bed heating up
M104 S{material_standby_temperature} ; soften filament
G28 ; Home all axis
M117 Heating... ; LCD status message
M109 R{material_standby_temperature} ; wait for temp
M82 ; set extruder to absolute mode
G92 E0 ; set extruder position to 0
G1 E-10 F100 ; retract filament 10mm
M104 S{material_standby_temperature} ; set to wipe temp
;M106 ; turn on fans to speed cooling
M109 R{material_standby_temperature} ; wait for to reach temp
M107 ; turn off fan
;M206 X0 Y0 Z0              ; uncomment to adjust wipe position (+X ~ nozzle moves left)(+Y ~ nozzle moves forward)(+Z ~ nozzle moves down)
G12 ; wiping sequence
M106 S255 ; turn on fan to blow away fuzzies
G4 S5 ; wait 5 seconds
M107 ; turn off fan
;M206 X0 Y4 Z0 ; reseting stock nozzle position ### CAUTION: changing this line can affect print quality ###
M109 R{material_standby_temperature} ; wait for extruder to reach probe temp
G1 X-10 Y293 F4000 ; move above first probe point
M204 S100 ; set probing acceleration
G29 ; start auto-leveling sequence
M420 S1 ; activate bed level matrix
M204 S500 ; restore standard acceleration
M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; set extruder to print temp
;M425 Z     ; use measured Z backlash for compensation
;M425 Z F0     ; turn off measured Z backlash compensation. (if activated in the quality settings, this command will automatically be ignored)
G1 X0 Y0 Z15 F5000 ; move up off last probe point
G4 S1 ; pause
M117 Heating... ; progress indicator message on LCD
M109 R{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for extruder to reach printing temp
M190 R{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed to reach printing temp
G1 Z2 E0 F75 ; prime tiny bit of filament into the nozzle
M82 ; set extruder to absolute mode
M400 ; wait for moves to finish
M117 TAZ 6 Printing... ; progress indicator message on LCD

End gcode

; Customized by HarlemSquirrel for Lulzbot TAZ 6 and Cura 5.1
M400 ; wait for moves to finish
M140 S45 ; start bed cooling
M104 S0 ; disable hotend
M107 ; disable fans
G91 ; relative positioning
G1 E-1 F300 ; filament retraction to release pressure
G1 Z20 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F3000 ; lift up and retract even more filament
G1 E6 ; re-prime extruder
M117 Cooling please wait ; progress indicator message on LCD
G1 Y0 F3000 ; move to cooling position
M190 R45 ; wait for bed to cool off
G1 Y280 F3000 ; present finished print
M140 S0 ; cool down
M77 ; stop GLCD timer
M84 ; disable steppers
M117 Print complete ; progress indicator message

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Likewise, thank you very much for providing this information.

Under the tab extruder1, I will try...

nozzle size 0.5

compatible material diameter 2.85

nozzle offset x  0.0

nozzle offset y  0.0

cooling fan number 0

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura 5.1 and Lulzbot TAZ 6

Iam running this start codes with the current Cura 5.3 beta.

Most of the issues I had with running non Lulzbot Cura version have been around not making past the washer probing start routine.

Edited by sierradays

I'm having  a terrible time printing the Wonder Woman file from Thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2573198

If I print it standing up, it all gobbled into a ball but if i print it laying on its side it prints the figure OK but with way too much support so when I start cutting out the support I end up breaking  off one of the  legs.

I don't  know which settings in Cura to change? Also, what number do I change that setting? Retraction? Support (tons of options)? Travel?

I use Polymaker PLA 2.85.

Can we use Ultimaker Cura instead of Lulszbot Cura?

I tried to install Ultimaker Cura but when prompted for a printer it does list Lulzbot so which printer would I choose to install Ultimaker Cura if that would be better than Lulzbot Cura?

I can try to upload the gcode for this Wonder Woman as Cura slices the gcode I save on to an SD car and print that in the Taz 6.

Thank you.

I would probably stick with lolzbot cura.  It seems every new version of Cura has some obscure but problematic feature that causes some kind of issue and sometimes it's best to know all the kinks and workarounds of a fixed version of cura.  And the lulzbot people are really good and have contributed to cura (I believe) and if they have picked a particular version then that's probably best.

Messing with settings you don't know well will result in hard won lessons learned.  Painful lessons.

Printing lying down or standing - either should work fine.  I'd probably do lying down as it's probably faster and uses less filament.  Maybe you can just be more careful about cutting the support now that you know - start cutting far from the leg and approach carefully.  Maybe use a hot knife or soldering iron for the far awy cuts and definitely consider a flush cutter for the final cuts.  google "flush cutter".  Seriously.  Will be the best $5/5 euros you spent to improve a 3d printer.

.  There are tons of support options but I don't do artistic models (I do mechanical parts) so I don't know which options are best for something with skinny legs and skinny sword like this.

Please show a picture of this "gobbled into a ball".  I have no idea what you mean.  

You might want to try "tree support".  It may be much better or maybe much worse.  It depends on things like how much the model really needs.

You should also learn how to do support blocker.  Try to find a < 2 minute video on cura support blockers.  The interface changes slightly but you should be able to figure it out.

But when using support blocker you have to then really think about each layer and if it is printable or not.  The printer can do bridging (think of the top of a doorway) as long as both ends are on the same slice.  So you don't need support for certain surfaces that are horizontal if supported on each end.

Please show pictures!!  Both of your cura screen shot showing both orientations (with the settings you used) and of the blob.

Also strongly consider posting a project file if you have specific questions like "how do I thin support where this arrow is pointing".  To do that do "file" "project save as" and post that file here.  It should hopefully load into newer versions of cura than the one you used and at least give us more ideas as to your settings.

LulzBot Cura has alot of alterations and settings additions that does not exist in normal UltiMaker Cura. 
    They are generally specific to the LulzBot firmware and nuances in the configuration of their Taz line of printers.

You are more than welcome to attempt to use UltiMaker Cura with your Taz.. but you do kind of risk damage to your print bed surface to my understanding.