Strange looking stripes

wyssale1

Posted · Strange looking stripes

IMG_7103.thumb.jpeg.2615e6bd2858207de8a7907d07120157.jpeg

During printing, there are always weird vertical stripes (see picture) on the right side of the model.

Has anyone had this problem?

Does anyone know a solution how to eliminate this?

Isn't this the front side of the model?  You said right side of model?

Do you mean they are to the right of each corner?

Is the model supposed to have this marbling like pattern?

I think the vertical lines might be ringing.  If so then they would fade out as you get farther from each corner.  They would appear only *after* the print head has passed the corner.  If it is ringing there are lots of great ways to reduce it.  Basically you can play with the jerk and acceleration values.  Cura already has settings called "jerk control" and "acceleration control".  Quite a few settings actually.  Designed to get rid of ringing.  Especially for the S5 and S3.  I don't know if these are enabled by default for the UM2+C and I don't know if they have been tuned for the UM2+C.  If this is ringing I can help you with the formula for setting the acceleration and jerk values.  You first need to know the harmonic vibration frequency or period of the vibrations so you have to measure the distance between each vertical line and you have to know the print speed for the outer wall.  From those 2 numbers you can get the period and that results in a simple calculation to choose the perfect acceleration to halt the vibrations.

Or they could be infill showing through.  Look at the part in PREVIEW mode in cura and see if there are internal infill structures that match the location of the vertical lines.  If so then make sure to print the outer walls before the infill (there are a few settings in cura to change this).  If it's infill it shouldn't fade out as you get farther from a corner.

• 2 months later...
    On 8/12/2022 at 8:42 AM, gr5 said:

Isn't this the front side of the model?  You said right side of model?

Do you mean they are to the right of each corner?

Is the model supposed to have this marbling like pattern?

I think the vertical lines might be ringing.  If so then they would fade out as you get farther from each corner.  They would appear only *after* the print head has passed the corner.  If it is ringing there are lots of great ways to reduce it.  Basically you can play with the jerk and acceleration values.  Cura already has settings called "jerk control" and "acceleration control".  Quite a few settings actually.  Designed to get rid of ringing.  Especially for the S5 and S3.  I don't know if these are enabled by default for the UM2+C and I don't know if they have been tuned for the UM2+C.  If this is ringing I can help you with the formula for setting the acceleration and jerk values.  You first need to know the harmonic vibration frequency or period of the vibrations so you have to measure the distance between each vertical line and you have to know the print speed for the outer wall.  From those 2 numbers you can get the period and that results in a simple calculation to choose the perfect acceleration to halt the vibrations.

Or they could be infill showing through.  Look at the part in PREVIEW mode in cura and see if there are internal infill structures that match the location of the vertical lines.  If so then make sure to print the outer walls before the infill (there are a few settings in cura to change this).  If it's infill it shouldn't fade out as you get farther from a corner.

@gr5 My prints face an issue like the one shown in the OP. In this case, it's got to be ringing. (Infill is too sparse to produce this patter, I think.)

The ringing is at its worst just after the print passes a corner; then it fades. (See photo.)

I'd love to learn the formula you referred to — for setting the jerk and acceleration values based on the period of the vibrations.

IMG_2571.jpeg