Gap between lines (Cura 4.7.1)

lmercatanti

Posted · Gap between lines (Cura 4.7.1)

Hi everyone! I have a problem with Cura and I don't know where to turn. When I print, there is a slight gap between the lines.
I don't know which parameters of Cura to change. I tried the flow, but nothing to do ...

fotina.thumb.jpg.7d5fae7f45172896bc97632e67a86603.jpg

I don't think this is a cura specific problem, and it usually doesn't make sense to judge your flow calibration by the first layer. Better try to adjust your z-offset by having the nozzle move closer to the bed.

• Like 1

Cura calculates the E numbers of the gcode by knowing the Filament Diameter and the Line Width*Layer Height*ExtrusionLength of any particular extrusion.  When the ratio of "Volume of Filament In = Volume of Extrusion Out" then your Flow is 100%.

But the first layer is often something other than "Layer Height" tall because the leveling process is involved.

How are you leveling the bed?

Kicking up the flow should cause the lines to get welded together as you would expect.  I run my "Initial Layer Flow" at 105% because that works well with the way I level with my piece of parchment paper.  I could add a Z offset, but it just doesn't matter.  One or the other will work.  Depending on the printer (which would be good to know) it could be a question of calibrating the E-Steps as well.

Back to tuning the flow for just the first layer...While printing that first layer you can "Tune" the flow from the LCD.  Let about 12mm print and then move the flow up 5%.  Keep doing that until you get a nice flat finish of the extrusions.  If you end up at 120 or 130% you will really need to look at other factors like a Z offset or the E-steps.

Hey! @lmercatanti

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community forum 🎉

Are we looking at the initial layer in your picture?
    Are you sure the distance between your nozzle and buildplate is tuned correctly? image.thumb.png.bb62a9ddf6a90e89b0f948126dbf697d.png

Also, I'm super curious. Why are you on a version of Cura from September 2020? 
    What is preventing you to upgrade to Cura 5.1?