Ender 3 v2 pause issue

D1ggie

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Ender 3 v2 pause issue

Hello again.

So I tried changing only the retraction when it pauses.

I used always the same filament and even testes pull it back a bit just like you said but still not working.

I always wait about 10 minutes afeter it pauses to kinda "simulate" a normal change filament.

How can I send a video showing what happens?

Edited by D1ggie

Posted · Ender 3 v2 pause issue

I can read what happens in the gcode but I have my own news.

I've re-written part of the PauseAtHeight code.  There are two main changes and some minor ones.  One change moves the "Extrude" to before the nozzle goes back to the print so no more blob.  The other adds multi-line capability to "Gcode before pause" and "Gcode after pause".

When I figure out how to do a proper Pull Request on GitHub I'll submit it.  In the meantime I'm looking for beta testers.  You need to copy one file to the Scripts folder in the Cura installation folder.

When I install Cura on my Windows printer I can't overwrite anything in the Cura folder.  I must "share" the folder with myself and then it's OK.  You might have to do something like that to get write privileges in the folder.

The following is for Windows.  Mac and Linux should be similar.

In Windows go to "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts".  You will see the file "PauseAtHeight.py".  Rename that file to "PauseAtHeight-old.py".

Download the file below.  Extract the file and copy "PauseAtHeight.py" to "...\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts" folder.  Start Cura.

You won't need to use the Search and Replace anymore.  You can move that code and put it into the "Gcode after Pause" box.  Instead of the "\n" between commands you put a comma.  For example:

Method = M25

Gcode after Pause =  G91,G1 Z5,G90,G1 X0 Y0 F6000,M117,M117,M117,M117,M117,M117

It's supposed to work.  Let me know how you make out.

PauseAtHeight.zip

Posted (edited) · Ender 3 v2 pause issue

Does your Pause at Height dialog look like this?  This is the one I wrote and has the "M109 or M104" option box.

image.thumb.png.5474b456f55aa631ed5ca83cf87c31e7.png

This is the code below the pause.  You can see that there is no "Extrude" line.

M25 ; Do the actual pause
    G91
    G1 Z5
    G90
    G1 X10 Y10 F6000
    M117
    M117
    M117
    M117
    M117
    M117
    M109 S195 ; WAIT for resume temperature
    G1 F300 Z2.2
    G1 F9000 X100.6 Y100.6
    G1 F300 Z1.2 ; move back down to resume height
    G1 F922.3 ; restore extrusion feedrate
    M82 ; switch back to absolute E values
    G92 E36.40098
    ;LAYER:5

Edited by GregValiant

Yes, I have that box to choose if I want with M109 or M104.

I left it enabled.

I don't know why but I saw the extruder comming backwards a bit.

But let me try the program again.

Hello again.

I'm back.

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Printer has been very busy these days. 😅

But the problem persists and I'm getting frustrated of what can be the problem.

I only want to replace the board in last resource and after figuring that it's really the problem.

Did you come with another possible solution?

Thanks.

I don't know if replacing the mainboard will fix it.  What information I was able to glean from the internet was spotty and imprecise.  What appeared to be happening with certain Creality printers was that the mainboard does not communicate properly with the newer style TFT displays.  When a command sends a message to the display (like M0 sends "click to resume") then the command is simply ignored.

So is the problem in the display, the mainboard, or in the firmware?  I don't know.

I have a 4.2.7 mainboard sitting here that I've never installed.  My 1.1.5 mainboard works well enough and supports the pause commands so I've been unwilling to experiment.  If the older mainboard dies (been known to happen) then I'll stick the new one in.  It may well work because my 3 year old Ender 3 Pro has the older regular LCD display which may (or may not) communicate properly with the 4.2.7 board without a firmware change.

If those fixes I've described don't work for you then have you tried using G4 to pause?  It's clumsy because it's a timed "pause" and can neither be shortened nor extended once the printer has read the command.  G4 S300 should stop the print for 5 minutes at which time the printer will resume by itself.  So the problem is that you would need to be watching for the printer to stop, act fairly quickly (depending on the "S" parameter which is in seconds) and then wait for the print to resume.

The attached gcode file has the following script.  Print it.  If the nozzle stops for 30 seconds before the second G28 then G4 works on your printer.

G28 ;auto-home all
    G0 F600 Z5 ;move Z up
    G0 F6000 X100 Y100 ;move X and Y
    G4 S30 ;pause for "S" seconds
    G28 X Y ;home X and Y only

G4 test.gcode

I tried the gcode.

The printer goes to the middle of the build plate and stays there.

And after about a minute it ends the program.