Artifacts on multiple extrusion print

luca_hbmp

Posted · Artifacts on multiple extrusion print

I'm going to revive this site, I have had multiple of these blobs and changed the print cores, I didn't know what cause the failure, I have:

- changed printcores,

- re-design and installed belt clips with tensioners, (thinking axles fell due to gravity)

- Re-calibrated XY axis, manual buildplate, Level switch, etc.

- Lubricated every axis according to manufacturers website.

I have done the above so many times, I go through the menus with  my eyes closed. I've used different methods to secure the prints (salt method, Glue stick) but in a recent print, I've noticed a bang noise during one of the prints, When I checked, the printcore should have changed from the PVA to the PLA and it didn't, the noise was from the printer hitting the dry PLA.

I am at whit's end with this printer, so I am requesting some wise suggestions from this community

viber_image_2022-09-01_19-55-58-279.jpg

viber_image_2022-09-01_19-55-58-317.jpg

viber_image_2022-09-01_19-55-58-342.jpg

Hey @luca_hbmp,

I moved your comment away from the clogged printhead thread to it's own topic. 

I'm happy to help troubleshoot your problem. 

You seem to have some under extrusion that can be caused by a number of things!
    What is the filament you are using? How old is it?
    When is the last time you cleaned your feeders and cores?
    Can you share the project file with the settings? 

Hi Marimakes, 

I have a ULTIMAKER s3, AA nozzle with black ULTIMAKER 3 PLA and BB with PVA.

I have printed a few times with unsuccessful results and mostly the file was irrelevant.

the latest was this one from thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1885007

I tried to print with one printcore only, which obviously is not allowed, than I removed the pva material and send a file to print. The same ridges appear and they seem to be all related to the BB core scratching on the PLA material of the build, causing imperfections or material drag in the worse case.

Have you checked to make sure your lift switch is calibrated correctly?  If you #2 printcore is not lifting when it is not in use (thus dragging across layers, or colliding with things), that could explain a lot of what you are seeing.  I had this happen a couple of times over the years, where the lift switch calibration suddenly was not correct.

Hey @luca_hbmp

Regarding your leveling, I really like this overview with things to look for:
    image.thumb.png.96f9e0692801431e19a978d42a4f4686.png

If it's not that, it might be related to the settings you changed. 🤔

I have a S3 over here that I can try your printjob on. 

Can you share your project file? 

To save a project file go to File -> Save project

Thank you 😇

Do you have a gcode template of a part to troubleshoot issues? By the way, this is an ultimaker 3 not the S3, just to clarify 🙂

Helicopter_Front.gcode

Hey @luca_hbmp,

I ususally don't do this but....  I printed your Gcode.
    My printjob showed up just as I expected based on the gcode. No artifacts on my print. 😞

207046577_WhatsAppImage2022-09-15at13_51_10.thumb.jpeg.6ed554f29ff610e146d0c5f412e3fddc.jpeg1617869129_WhatsAppImage2022-09-15at13_50_43.thumb.jpeg.23ccb54cbfb1d394865538c1235845e9.jpeg

That means that the error is somewhere on your hardware.

It could have to do with:
    1. The Buildplate Leveling. (Can you double check your manual leveling)
    2. Material Quality. (Is it old or a bad batch? Does it need drying?)
    3. Your nozzles (Are they clean? Are they worn out?)
    4. Your cooling (Are there hairs in your fan? Are the fans connected correctly?)

Let me know if any of these things work for you. 🤔
    👋 I'm going to play with my new helicopter now 😄

Thanks, I done manual levelling, but tried the active levelling and the printer turns off and restart. Any suggestions of what could cause this? I’ve added new cores and calibrate them everytime.The material has delivered other good prints before

Hey @luca_hbmp,

Which version of the UM3 firmware are you on? 
    If you are not on Firmware 5.3, can you try the latest version? 
    https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011587199-Update-the-Ultimaker-3-firmware

Thank you 🙏

Hi,

another culprit could also be a worn out feeder arm, as mentioned in these threads:

or

Regards

• Thanks 1