How to create a printer definition with Cura 5.x ?

V3DPrinting

Posted · How to create a printer definition with Cura 5.x ?

Hi to all

I'd like to create a printer definition, as it is not listed in Ultimaker Cura 5.x.

I already have the definition (machine, extruders, meshes, variants) from BCN3D Cura. But it's based on Cura 4.X

I use Cura 5.x with plugins on my Ultimakers and like to keep it with for the others (only one material database, only one SW to manage, ....). BCN3D Cura has no plugins nor the last valuable improvements.

I have already created custom printers to use Ultimaker Cura 5.x on my BCN3D Epsilon W50. 3 printers for Single mode (left extruder), Dual Mode and Duplication mode) and it's working fine.

But BCN3D has changed the Epsilon's FW and the filament sensor is not working anymore.

Previously, they used some comment lines in the gcode to activate the left / right filament sensor. I now suspect they also use the machine definition name in the end comments of the gcode.

Having a custom printer means you have 'custom' in the machine definition name, instead of 'bcn3dw50'

I've found the GitHub page on how to create a printer definition, but it's not for Cura 5.X

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Adding-new-machine-profiles-to-Cura

Any clue were I can find a similar page for Cura 5.X ?

Thanks in advance

@nallath Thanks for your feedback.

I am under MacOS, in the 5.x package content, under Ressources, I don't find the directories ressources/definitions or extruders.

Does that mean I need to use the other way and put the files in the definitions or extruders directories under user settings folder ? 

@nallath Back porting the BCN3D printer to Cura 5.1 was very easy. Thanks

I still need to recreate the necessary printers to mimmic all the IDEX modes and some other specific configurations.

Posted (edited) · How to create a printer definition with Cura 5.x ?

Adding definitions to my user config did not load them for me, but I found this:
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/README_resources.txt#L10-L11

```

*) The configuration folder can be found by:

Open up Help -> Show Configuration Folder

```

Which pointed me to a different location (.local rather than .config)

Edited by matttrach

Hi @nallath

I had some time to spend on that topic, so I've made some progresses

Currently I have:

- backported BCN3D Epsilon W50 definitions, extruders, meshes, quality, materials, variants into Cura 5.1.1.

- modified the quality definitions in order to remove all the material related parameters such as temperatures, retraction settings, flow rates (otherwise the materials parameters are not properly taken into account)

- created the necessary quality definitions for the materials I have from the marketplace

- modified the material definitions to add the bcn3dw50 machine and variants (see attachments) so it should have dedicated values for the machine / variant.

I still have an issue to have the materials updated when altering in the preferences panel for Epsilon W50: it doesn't alter the material definition as for the Ultimaker printers

Did I missed something ?

Thanks for your feedback

generic_abs_06.xml.fdm_material.zip

I found the solution.

It's linked with the way the BCN3D printer was defined. Implementing the BCN3D specific plugins (2) has solved the issue.

Also I have realized that material modification are not in real time committed to the material file, but recorded into the current machine until you change machine or variant or material.

So changes were not visible in the files just after the change in the GUI.