Wierd Problem I get in Cura, Dotted lines caused by a unnecessary travel move

KryptoOwl

Posted (edited) · Wierd Problem I get in Cura, Dotted lines caused by a unnecessary travel move

Hello I have this wierd problem Im getting sometimes and I narrowed it down to something that happens in cura when slicing a 1mm wall with a 0.4mm line width 

when it`s sliced at 0.4mm layer width and the walls are 0.8mm It prints all nicely but when there is a 1mm wall it has a wierd travel move that is not there when its sliced with a 0.8mm wall It shows it in the gif 

0.8mm Wall is Fine :  https://gifyu.com/image/S3RUb Has a nice loop around

1mm wall Wierd travel move that leaves a dotted line on the print wall :   https://gifyu.com/image/S3RZg Wierd travel move at the front causing the dots on the wall 

The photo I added shows on the top the 1mm wall and on the bottom the 0.8mm wall, you can see on the top print the 1mm wall that there is some wierd artifacts created by the dotted lines that are caused by the wierd travel move you can see in the 1mm wall GIF 

The artifacts only show on the front where the dotted lines are created due to the travel move the sides and back are fine

Maybe there is a setting that I am overlooking because you cannot always controll the wall line width on a part with different sized walls so hopefully someone can nudge me in the right direction.

Here is Another Gif with the 0.8mm and 1mm wall combined so you can see whats going on maybe better: https://gifyu.com/image/S3RJM

IMG_20220927_030357.jpg

I added The Stl Files so you can maybe recreate the problem

testube 0.8mm.stl TestTube1mm.stl

Edited by KryptoOwl
added stl

• KryptoOwl changed the title to Wierd Problem I get in Cura, Dotted lines caused by a unnecessary travel move
    Posted (edited) · Wierd Problem I get in Cura, Dotted lines caused by a unnecessary travel move

Anyone else seems to have this problem? I saw someone talking about an infill rounding error but I have no idea on how to make sure its that

Edited by KryptoOwl

Posted · Wierd Problem I get in Cura, Dotted lines caused by a unnecessary travel move

Maybe you could show what you are talking about with a screenshot in PREVIEW mode of cura?

You should always make the line width match the wall width (wall width should be an integral multiplication of line width).  Always.  Always!  So that 0.4/1.0 mismatch is a red flag right there.  But may be unrelated.

Otherwise you can get annoying fudges that print with different widths and fills.

Now you have a special case where you actual model also has very thin "walls".  not to be confused with the "wall" settings in Cura.  Cura considers a wall the outermost layers of your model.  Each of what most people would call a "wall" of your model contains 2 of what Cura considers to be a wall.  one on the outer surface and a second wall on the inner surface.

It's confusing.  I know.  And extremely important to understand the above paragraph when slicing thin models like yours.

Maybe a better way I can explain:  The red and green lines in PREVIEW mode are walls.  Each of your model's walls have two sets of those.

Anyway, Cura 5.X does a better job with thin walled parts like yours.  And there are options to mess with (line width is most important to experiment with - for a 0.4 nozzle you can go 0.35 to 0.5mm line width without much trouble).  "print thin walls" is a key thing to play with in cura 4.X.

Posted · Wierd Problem I get in Cura, Dotted lines caused by a unnecessary travel move

@gr5

Thank you very much for your response!

So after allot of tinkering around and looking around I think I found something that caused it, I had the seam set to sharpest corner instead of shortest path and it would leave a little tiny dotted line on the infill when it would move to the sharpest corner so maybe I have to tweak the retraction for that to work,or maybe I need to use combing to not go over printed parts or something like that. Anyways I set it back to shortest path now and it seems to not leave these dotted lines anymore. 

If the dotted lines are visibile in preview then you can definitely remove them with various wall settings.

If the dotted lines are only visible in real life then it's probably underextrusion which can happen for many reasons (speed changes, retraction, slow travels such that some filament leaks out, and more).