[SOLVED] internal faces not being sliced. ultimaker cura 5.1.1

printnewb
Go to solution Solved by printnewb,

Posted (edited) · [SOLVED] internal faces not being sliced. ultimaker cura 5.1.1

I have had the same issue on older versions as well.

The internal faces are not being sliced/printed. only the outer faces are.

This time it is paramount that I do not resort to working my way around the issue by making the internal faces boxes. The result I am aiming at should have a single wall/line connecting the outer single line edge with the inner single line edge. With the work arounds I have employed in the past the result would always be 2 lines for those inner boxes.

Please see my 3mf file for reference.

for a visual representation please see a screenshot of the model

image.thumb.png.d013b3e61ffb7889a998aa13b309d2c5.png

Is there a setting that I am overlooking that will result in this model being sliced with single lines both external as internal?

CE5P_iron powder disk top.3mf

Edited by printnewb
problem was solved

Posted · [SOLVED] internal faces not being sliced. ultimaker cura 5.1.1

Hey @printnewb

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🚀 

Thanks for sharing your model.

This mesh seems faulty. All the non yellow parts indicate open walls. 

image.thumb.png.575f48bcff27eb87946e0f656a6a2256.png

You can only 3D printing with watertight models,

If you want single walled models, you'll have to build a wall with the same width as your nozzle. In your case, 1.0 mm. 
    I believe if you redraw your dividers to be 1 mm wide, you should see way better results. 

thank you for the suggestion Mari,

Yet I used to work around the issue in a simlar way and it always resulted in 2 lines.
    As a reference I will show you the sliced results with an 1mm box.

image.thumb.png.0a53dcf7f774aa5476c648593056e8cb.png

and if I make the boxes 0.1 thickness then this is the sliced result

image.thumb.png.9d2ecdfdacffc94a726d3ee2cc262e13.png

Is there anything else we can try to get the stiffners to be sliced as single lines?

Posted (edited) · [SOLVED] internal faces not being sliced. ultimaker cura 5.1.1

Within the Special Modes settings is "Surface Mode".  Have you tried setting it to "Both"?

image.thumb.png.78ff77e059eecdf8bd3be29f41875eea.png

The way the model is designed (infinitely thin surfaces) it really can't be done any other way.  The thicknesses everywhere (except the bottom) will be dependent on your Line Width.  The bottom thickness will be dependent on "Bottom Layers".  I can see where travel movement could be a problem as all the extrusions are essentially one-way streets.

Edited by GregValiant

• Solution

Thank you Greg, your suggestion did lead me to victory.

By it self the suggestion was not enough to get a single line. But when breaking up the model in smaller segments and removing a face from an adjacent segment it does lead to a single line being sliced.

When putting back the surface mode to normal then the internal lines dissapear again.

image.thumb.png.b0d6142610814b57a3863b6621464669.png

All is well when it ends well.

thanks everyone!

I've updated the thread title to reflect that the problem has been solved.

Edited by printnewb
    removed a request for adding solved label. I have done so now my self.
    • Like 2

Ohh, I just realized.

Even though my specific problem has been solved with a combination of cura settings and model gymnasitics.

Is there a suggestion on how to more likely not run into these kind of issues in the future?

i.g. I am willing to relearn modeling with blender and say farwell to sketchup 2017.

I really belive that this issue was a result of my use of modeling software and the STl exporter that I installed as an add on.
    I do not believe the cura developers actually intended to have ther results be like this when processing a proper STL file

Cura really needs a solid body to slice.  It can be thin, but it needs an internal volume.  I think that's what @MariMakes was suggesting when she mentioned that the walls should be 0.8mm thick.

The walls of your box are surfaces and infinitely thin and so it can only be sliced in Surface mode as the model doesn't qualify as a 3D Solid and in fact could not exist as a physical thing in the real world.

• Like 1