Ultimaker Cura 5.2 Released

MariMakes

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.2 Released

The stable release of Ultimaker Cura 5.2 has arrived! In this release, there are multiple collaboration improvements for teams and classrooms using multiple Ultimaker printers. 
You can download it here

Additionally, three new settings have been introduced that allow you to tune and improve your initial layer flow, allowing you to improve your first-layer adhesion and reduce elephant’s foot. 

We have also made it easier than ever to build and run Ultimaker Cura from source. Improvements to the way that Ultimaker Cura is built, and the associated documentation, will help open-source members of the community to contribute to the future of Ultimaker Cura more easily

Abstract printer types allow you to match the printer you want to use, with the settings you’ve selected

Ultimaker 3D printers which are remotely connected to Ultimaker Cura can now be accessed using a new workflow. When working with multiple Ultimaker 3D printer, they are now automatically bundled by printer type.

You can select this abstract printer type when you start slicing your part. If you preferred the old workflow, that is still available. It’s now possible to see the loaded materials and print cores of all printers available to you via the Ultimaker Digital Factory, without selecting each individual printer. When you’ve finished finding the right print settings for your part, you are shown which printers are able to print that part for you. It is also possible to print the same print job on multiple printers without needing to switch between printers.   

1437826519_Untitleddesign(11).thumb.png.1e1845cb96810fc4ac4a21530446d4d2.png

Print approval when using roles in Ultimaker Digital Factory

Organizations with a large number of users gain access to new moderation tools in Ultimaker Cura 5.2. When using an Ultimaker Professional, Excellence, or Education subscription, you can now assign ‘Guest’ roles. Colleagues or students in a ‘Guest’ role can still prepare print jobs in Ultimaker Cura and send them to the printers via the Ultimaker Digital Factory like normal. However, print jobs sent using the Guest role will not start immediately, but will instead require approval from a user with the 'Member' or 'Admin' roles. 

Print job approval helps organizations using Ultimaker Digital Factory with lots of users control what is printed, and when. Guests can attach notes to each print job which the moderator can use to determine if a print should be prioritized. Guests only have the rights to interact with their own print jobs and cannot interfere with other printers or print jobs.  

Learn more about the available roles in an organization here.  

image.thumb.png.231c59f8fe5101b58998ba4c7bc58db7.png

Better control over initial layer flow

We have introduced three new settings that will help you tune your initial layer. These are appropriate for when you are not able to use a brim or when using a flexible build plate that does not require a brim. These settings can be used to tune your first-layer adhesion and should enable you to decrease or eliminate elephant’s foot. The three new settings are:  

·         Initial Layer Outer Wall Flow 

·         Initial Layer Inner Wall Flow 

·         Initial Layer Bottom Layer Flow 

1315126007_Untitleddesign(13).thumb.png.84e4033bf8d42bcbe2944c2cdda9a8cf.png

Additional improvements

The following improvements have also been implemented in the Ultimaker Cura 5.2:

·         Building from source is now more accessible. If you want to contribute, it’s easier than ever to get started. Read more about it here.

·         Fixed a bug so that the random Z-Seam setting is now more random

·         Fixed a bug where tree support had infill by default where it was supposed to be hollow

·         Fixed a bug where Windows users saw pointless notifications when they left Ultimaker Cura running in the background

Happy Printing 😃

You can download the latest version of Cura here:https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura

• Like 3

• MariMakes pinned and featured this topic

Just a small bug: selecting the "Italian" language, the cure "speaks" in French ... (Windows version)
Language files in C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.0\share\cura\resources\i18n\it_IT are actually translated into French instead of Italian: can I overwrite them with those of version 5.1.0?

7 hours ago, CurAlex said:

Just a small bug: selecting the "Italian" language, the cure "speaks" in French ... (Windows version)
    Language files in C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.0\share\cura\resources\i18n\it_IT are actually translated into French instead of Italian: can I overwrite them with those of version 5.1.0?

Also in the Mac version. It also does so by selecting the English language.

Hey @Plainbum,

Thanks for the report. 

The profiles for creality printers have been contributed by our community.
    We did not ship more or less of the profiles: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/tree/5.2/resources/quality/creality/base

Are you sure you have selected the correct nozzle size?
    Can we have a picture of what you are seeing or even your configuration folder?

You can share your configuration folder by:

1. Go to Help at the top bar of Cura
    2. Select Show Configuration Folder
    3. Select all the folders in there and create a zip OR go up a folder in your folder structure and zip your folder with the correct Cura version

• Like 2

Apologies if this is a silly question, its been a very long time since i updated or used cura.
    But when updating cura and then lanching the new version, do you have to go back in a re-do all the settings you had. or will those settings remain the case in the newer updated version?
    Just that if not i can screen shot the settings i have now, so that i can re-enter them all and not have to go through tuning everything again. Thanks

Hey @TKTrooper,

If the installation goes according to plan, your profiles and printers will be upgraded and available to your newly installed Cura version. If you want to be super sure you do not lose your settings you can make a back-up before installing. More about back-ups can be found here: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/4411125921426-How-do-Cura-backups-work-

Good Luck!

Hi,

in the other version of Cura i made a change in the Start of Gcode of my Velleman Delta K8800, but i do it now he starts the program with a ERROR that says, My K8800 is wrong and don't load the printer! So no approval of Cura to change the file!

How can I set that the file is OK!

Kind regards,

Tom

Hey @TomEm,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Can you share your configuration folder with us with your broken Cura version? 
    You can share your configuration folder by:

1. Go to Help at the top bar of Cura
    2. Select Show Configuration Folder
    3. Select all the folders in there and create a zip OR go up a folder in your folder structure and zip your folder with the correct Cura version

Hi Mari

I try to do it again this morning and this time it went well!!!

Another question, I am busy to do a translation for nlNL Dutch.

I do that for the Settings Guide the Extension, where must I send that if I am finished?

Kind regards,

Tom

Hey @TomEm,

Happy to hear it went well. 😊

So cool that you are translating the Settings Guide Plugin. 👑
    It's maintained by one of our community members, @ghostkeeper.

You can add a pull request in his repository here. 
    https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/pulls

Hi again,

The text in the files material_print_temp_prepend.md and material_bed_temp_prepend.md is swaped.
    I find them here:
    c:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.2\plugins\SettingsGuide2\SettingsGuide2\resources\articles\

Kind regards,

Tom

I'm pretty new to this whole thing. I had cura 4.13 and it installed and worked fine. 5.1.1 works, but I have to run it from the file manager. Is there a way to install the 5.1.1 or 5.2.1 and have it replace the older versions?? I am on Ubuntu and I'm still pretty new to that OS, too. I'm using a Lotmaxx Shark V2 Printer. Thanks in advance.

Hey @Logaems,

The behavior you are describing is actually intended behavior.
    Many users prefer running different versions of Cura next to each other.
    Especially with the significant slicing engine change, we introduced in Cura 5.0 and the fact our Beta versions potentially have breaking bugs in them.

We are working on improving the unistallation behavior because we've been getting quite a number of requests about improving this. I understand that the current behavior where you have to uninstall previous versions yourself can be confusing. 

Cura 5.1 - 5.2.1 are extremely slow slicing anything but simple models. Same model, same settings, take 30 seconds in Cura 5.0 and 4.x, but takes over 5-10 minutes in anything above 5.1. (yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted, tried a different computer, all the same). Cura 5.x has become useless. It also is using excessive CPU cycles. 

Preemptive: No, it's not my computer.

Screenshot 2022-11-26 045607.jpg

Using the same test file

5.2.1 - Infill is causing the slow issue. I set to 100%, slices in about 15 seconds. Set to 20%, >5 minutes (regardless of pattern).

5.0 - Same settings (recommended) with infill at 20%, about 20-25 seconds

4.13.1 - Takes 20-25 seconds

Screenshot 2022-11-26 052317.jpg

Hey @Kvanwem,

Thanks for the report. We've seen some internal reports where models slice slower for Cura 5.1.
    But only in a few cases. Can we add your case to our research?  For that we need a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting.  To save a project file go to File -> Save project. 

Thank you 🙏

Sorry for the delay.

I included project files for both 5.0 and 5.2.1 In 5.0 the model slices in 23 seconds. Same model, using 5.2.1 it gets to about ~40 seconds then stalls and takes ~51 minutes to complete.

During this time, the Cura Slicing Engine is running at 96.2% CPU Usage.

Cura 5.2.1 UMS3_Snake v2.0.3mf Cura 5.0 UMS3_Snake v2.0.3mf

• Thanks 1

Have been having the same issue as Kvanwem, with multiple models taking a very long time to slice with 15-25% infill selected, if the slicing process ever completes (as in some cases it has taken well over 2 hours to get to about 40% of the completion bar).  Restarts / reinstalls have not helped.

The same exact files slice within 30 seconds in v5.0 / v5.1 and v4.X.

I have attempted to play with multiple settings, scowering the web for solutions.  What I found is as follows:

- slicing at 100% infill works within 30 secons

- slicing at 50% infill works within 30 seconds

- slicing at 40% infill works within 30 seconds

- slicing at 30% infill works within 30 seconds

anything below 30% will stall, while running CPU at 96 - 98 %...

it's not the infill pattern, as far as I can tell.

I am not sure if it's due to the complexity of the model, and the slicer attempting to calculate the best way of adding lower infill percentages, or something else.

Hope this info helps a bit.

I am absolutely new here, Don't have a printer yet, trying to familiarize myself with the software.

I am running ubuntu 22.04 and I downloaded Ultimaker-5.2.2 and it will not execute from the AppImage when I attempt to 'run as a program'.

if I attempt to run from a terminal I get the following:

PyInstaller/loader/pyimod02_importers.py:499: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib and slated for removal in Python 3.12; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
    Warning: Ignoring WAYLAND_DISPLAY on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so: undefined symbol: g_tls_channel_binding_error_quark
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so

(UltiMaker-Cura:7270): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 16:20:22.044: Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings' does not contain a key named 'antialiasing'
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I then download 5.1.1 and it does run  as a program.  I watch the tutorials and they seem different, like maybe they are for 5.2 and not 5.1.  For example, there is no down arrow in the folder box so I cannot load from a library?  Maybe I just don't have one or something.  

Hey @Xefarious

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

These specific Linux questions for Cura are more often discussed on our Cura GitHub.

We have two different Linux releases, did you try the modern version instead? You can get it here.
    If you are looking for an AppImage for your Linux OS we recommend using linux.AppImage. If you run into issues with launching your AppImage, we have linux-modern.AppImage ready as an alternative.