Ultimaker Cura 5.2 won't open - no cura log file

LePaul

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.2 won't open - no cura log file

Using my personal laptop at work, I decided to go to the website (here) and download the latest, being 5.2

Installed no problem but will not launch.

I tried Run as an Administrator and no change.

With no log files to offer, I am not sure what to try next?

I tried going to the previous version of 5.1 and that also fails to run.

4.8 does tho.

Only an suggestion, try to start it without AV.

I had a crash where my installed debugger came up during the first time I start Cura and recognize that Windows generate a lot of telemetry and anti-malware system traffic during the first start. This seems to block some resources Cura needs for the first run to setup everything.

There was an additional problem with Sidebar Gui 4.4.0. After I did install the latest development version from @fieldOfView the problems with crashes gone away.

Seeing a similar thing on my mac.   5.2.0 and .1 aren't running.  Starts, verifies, does the "are you sure" dialog, then just ends. 

Not sure where I'd find a log file if there is one.  Installing 5.1.1 again to see what happens....

...and 5.1.1 won't run any more either 😕

4.13.1 still opens tho.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DivingDuck said:

Only an suggestion, try to start it without AV.

I had a crash where my installed debugger came up during the first time I start Cura and recognize that Windows generate a lot of telemetry and anti-malware system traffic during the first start. This seems to block some resources Cura needs for the first run to setup everything.

There was an additional problem with Sidebar Gui 4.4.0. After I did install the latest development version from @fieldOfView the problems with crashes gone away.

No AV running

I try to stat it, I get the spinning icon for a few seconds and that's as far as I get.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.2 won't open - no cura log file

Have the same issue is ripptech.  MacOS 10.15.7.  Was running Cura 5.1.1 without issue, but tried 5.2.0 beta and it would never start.  Reinstalled 5.1.1 but it was a no go, would never launch.  Had to go back to 4.13.1 which worked fine.  Tried Cura 5.2.1 today and had the same results, it shows up in the dock when I launch, but it never opens up.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by cyberseeker
    typo

You inspired me to try something.  Installed 4.13.1 and when it loaded I got a SideBar error, then it moved on and loaded fine.  I uninstalled SideBar.

I then installed 5.2.1 since that just came out today and that won't launch either.  I went into the AppData \ Roaming \ cura \ 5.2 folder and no cura.log

I just installed 5.2.1 for testing, runs fine for me., but this won't help you.

Had you tried to run it "clean" w/o an existing configuration folder? Maybe worth a test. Rename (not delete, as you will loose your old configurations) the cura data folder to like "... \AppData \ Roaming \ cura-x" and start Cura.

15 minutes ago, DivingDuck said:

I just installed 5.2.1 for testing, runs fine for me., but this won't help you.

Had you tried to run it "clean" w/o an existing configuration folder? Maybe worth a test. Rename (not delete, as you will loose your old configurations) the cura data folder to like "... \AppData \ Roaming \ cura-x" and start Cura.

I don't know how to do it clean...I did do an install into a custom folder instead of the default one the installer likes to use.  I had seem in my search some had issues and a new path helped.  That didnt work for me

I haven't tried your suggestion since 4.13.1 works

Clean in this case means renaming the configuration folder from cura to cura-x. When you start Cura after renaming it won't find any previous configurations and installed plugins and create a new one without any old stuff like plugins and old configurations.

The idea behind is to identify if the start problem came from a plugin or an old configuration.

If the test wasn't successful you simply delete this newly created folder and rename the old folder back to cura. So you don't loose any setups from old releases. In case Cura will start correctly you know that there is a problem with old configurations or used plugins and you can try to evaluate further.

moved everything out of my ~/.../cura folder, removed and re-installed, same thing.  Went grepping system logs and found this:

system.log:Oct 19 11:13:42 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000017.Ultimaker-Cura[92138]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 11:14:11 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (nl.ultimaker.cura.21460[92188]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 11:14:22 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (nl.ultimaker.cura.21460[92199]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 11:16:25 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000018.Ultimaker-Cura[92279]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 11:32:45 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000001b.Ultimaker-Cura[93106]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 11:35:16 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000001d.Ultimaker-Cura[93291]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 11:40:07 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000001f.Ultimaker-Cura[93769]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 14:18:55 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (nl.ultimaker.cura.21784[4036]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 14:19:15 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (nl.ultimaker.cura.21784[4053]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    system.log:Oct 19 14:24:38 Christophers-Mac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000021.Ultimaker-Cura[4415]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255

not sure what "oneshot" is but looks like its involved.  Maybe? idk.

(if it matters this is a hackintosh posing as MacPro6,1 running Catalina)

@ripptech, had you seen this: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011889579

It looks like your OS isn't any longer supported.

@DivingDuck  😐

I had not.  that would explain it for sure.  thanks!!