WiFi-SD-card in Ultimaker 2?

Posted · WiFi-SD-card in Ultimaker 2?

I just wondering if someone already tried to have a WiFi SD card in the machine... Wouldn't it make life much more easyer?

justwaitingfortheultimaker2deliveryideas

Well, it is primarily for convenience. Quick transfer a modified GCode file to the printer, which is a few meters away. With no need to get up to, wirelessly happy. No idea how it looks with the range. And to start the printing process you have to get up anyway.

Each manufacturer of these cards makes as its own thing. And of course there are safety concerns in the various products. Also the card reader UM1/UM2 should not allow more than 2GB, which I believe to have read somewhere.

A good WiFi SDHC card is, for example, the Transcend TS32GWSDHC10; these I bought because of good reviews anyway. But due to acute lack of time so far I could not try out the part.

Markus

• 3 weeks later...

I think the real issue is that the Arduino does handle SD cards that are larger than 2GB (at least on the UM1)

So my 16BG Wifi Transcend is no use, too bad... :(

I think the real issue is that the Arduino does handle SD cards that are larger than 2GB (at least on the UM1)

So my 16BG Wifi Transcend is no use, too bad... :(

Aha, that can be a problem.. mine is a 32GB Transcend..

I bought it for my camera but there it consums to much power..

But whats up with the UM2 can it handle larger SD-cards?

Anybody knows?

Amazon sells the 2GB version, but are they really that expensive ?

and I wonder if it would work

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Fi-Share-Wireless-Memory-EYE-FI-2GB-B/dp/B001AD0TGG

Aha, that can be a problem.. mine is a 32GB Transcend..

I bought it for my camera but there it consums to much power..

But whats up with the UM2 can it handle larger SD-cards?

Anybody knows?

Oh my double bad: first, I initially meant "the arduino does *NOT* handle SD cards larger than 2GB".

And second, this is just FALSE :) Check, i.e. http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SD#.UyAixHVdXgg

Actually I just double checked and the controller did read a 8GB SD card (not wifi).

Now, back to the transcend 16GB wifi card of mine: it was formatted as W95 FAT32 *LBA* (type "c" on linux) and was not recognized. So I tried re-formatting it to the same plain FAT32 as my 8GB cards (type "b"), but it is still not recognized by the firmware this is weird...

I cannot spend too much time on it right now. Some ppl may be more knowledgeable here in the short term!

Maybe you should check this thread:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4112-sd-card-requirements/?hl=card

I don't know if it's of any help?

Maybe you should check this thread:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4112-sd-card-requirements/?hl=card

I don't know if it's of any help?

this sound VERY interesting:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4112-sd-card-requirements/?p=33545

so think my 32GB Transcend has a chance to work on an UM2

:cool:

Power requirements might be a problem.

Also, I think most of these cards transfer from the card to somewhere, not to the card from somewhere. So communication is the wrong way around.

Power requirements might be a problem.

Also, I think most of these cards transfer from the card to somewhere, not to the card from somewhere. So communication is the wrong way around.

Actually, both transcend and eyefi can be hacked (telnet access + homemade executable files -- I played with this). So I feel confident that they can be made to listen by themselves if it is needed (linux rules!). Eg. they could silently grab and sync the g files from a given folder on my PC. Hey, they could even slice the files for me (joking... there is plenty of hard drive space but the RAM is pretty small).

Back to the card size, I find it hard to accept there would be no real answer to the compatible SD cards for an Arduino, amazing!

Actually, both transcend and eyefi can be hacked (telnet access + homemade executable files -- I played with this). So I feel confident that they can be made to listen by themselves if it is needed (linux rules!). Eg. they could silently grab and sync the g files from a given folder on my PC. Hey, they could even slice the files for me (joking... there is plenty of hard drive space but the RAM is pretty small).

Back to the card size, I find it hard to accept there would be no real answer to the compatible SD cards for an Arduino, amazing!

YES hack it!!! :idea: :!: :evil: :D

I use a Raspbery pi + octoprint to transfer my files and control my UM2... you can check it out here: http://octoprint.org/