Viewport update

tonycstech

Posted · Viewport update

This new version has no steppers motors control at all in print dialog.

!! DOWNGRADE !! :shock:

Or, you would read the changes and notice that you can choose different print dialogs in the preferences.

Posted · Viewport update

New UI has more issues.

After pressing what ever button to move what ever axis, you cant repeat it by pressing SPACEBAR because they are no longer buttons and do not get highlighted as buttons.

It looks good but its more confusing then practical.

I cant bring CURA main UI to foreground, Printing dialog stays on top all the time. Cant even minimize it to get it off the screen.,

It would be cool to have viewport arrow to press to go up layer or down. very difficult to get to layer u need when u have hundreds of then and only so much to slide :(

Posted · Viewport update

It would be cool to have viewport arrow to press to go up layer or down. very difficult to get to layer u need when u have hundreds of then and only so much to slide :(

Shift + up/down.

Posted · Viewport update

It jumps by 2 or 3 layers until all layers are generated.

New speed improvement is also a headache. I am trying to preview specific layer for fill, but it only gives me outer and inner walls preview. Fill is not displayed until its generated all the way up to that layer, so it gives me false perview.

I was tweaking my print settings for so long trying to figure out why i cant get my layer filled until i noticed that it wont show fill unless its generated 1st.

So why bother making a useless preview that has no practical use and call it "major speed improvement" ?

Thats just my experience. Maybe i just have a bad day.

Posted · Viewport update

Wow. I dont know of any commercial software that progresses as fast as Cura does... It is free as well. The price we pay for free is some inconvenience along the way as things get worked out. Sometimes we have to alter our thinking and process in order to make the best use.

Constructive criticism will actually help improve things. Try that with any commercial software company. I appreciate that I can be heard by the developer and although it is very small ways, I can play a (very, very small) part in the advancement. But I am heard, as are you.

For some perspective, try to slice something with Skeinforge sometime and print it with RepG.

All I can say is thanks for the effort Daid!

Matt

Posted · Viewport update

I love the program and its the only one i use, but sometimes updates go toward the wrong way.

I am sure that layers preview is now faster, but only because it does not show you the actual layer preview, it only shows you outer and inner and support if any, thats it.

Fill is not displayed until it generated completely up to that layer you are trying to preview.

Improvement in faster preview would be to continue generating from what ever layer user is trying to look at. If i have 100 layers and want to preview layer 50, as soon as i slide the slider toward layer 50, start generating from there. Then finish the rest.

Right now this quick preview gave me nothing but false information on infill. I spent great time tweaking the model and CURA settings to get the fill i needed and nothing worked until i learned that i cant see infill until its generated up to viewing layer. Thats my only problem with this new preview.

Posted · Viewport update

Joke states that there was a problem which resulted user to use it in his own way.

If this comment refers to my complaint about removing buttons for moving XYZ axis in print dialog and replacing them with what ever controls then in my defense:

I was able to press home Z once, then i would look at the nozzle to see if it went low enough. If it didnt, i would adjust the end stop and press spacebar which would activate home Z. I could adjust the end stop and keep hitting spacebar to get desired height much faster VS looking at the screen and pressing home Z with mouse click each time i change the height.

New cool looking radar like controls look fine (and very confusing. Repetier has much better and simpler controls) but previously activated control cannot be repeated any longer and for me, this is disadvantage compared to previous releases.

Its OK, all software engineers go same route. They make their program look better and better. Changing UI's down to unrecognizable awesomeness regardless of the fact that it worked perfect before.

Only car manufacturers learned that changing working part is not a good idea, it proved its self reliable so lets not test on something we might have to recall later.

I do little bit of programming, so i kinda see the problem as well as the solution without changing the way it looks.

Posted · Viewport update

The printer dialog is editable with plugins now. So instead of bitching about it, you can fix it yourself. The printer window is a pain in the ass because everyone wants different things from it.

If you want to make it look like repetier, go ahead, you can do that. But instead of even looking at it, and reading the fact that the printer dialogs are made from plugins (as mentioned on the changes) you are bitching like a true RepRapper.

The "radar like" controls are from Pronterface. And the old interface did not work perfect before, it had tons of problems for a lot of uses. The new interface is not perfect, but can be customized. The old worked for you, but you are a RepRapper, you are special. And RepRappers have a tendency to see themselves as the center of the universe. News flash, you're a vocal minority. Cura has been build on ignoring and doing exactly the opposite of what RepRappers say.

If you would be complaining that you want to do some things from printdialog plugins that you cannot do then I would listen. Instead you are just complaining that things have changed. Yes, I change things. I break things. I try new stuff sometimes.

The GCode view improvements add some awesome debug features for myself. They are also a huge FPS boost. It also shows before the slicing is finished, allowing you to spot missing layer problems real quick. But instead you ignore all that and focus on your special case.

The % loading of the layer view is loading the GCode. It's parsing the GCode, it can only do that from beginning till end. But once it has loaded it will generate the view from your currently viewing layer downwards, exactly as you are "suggesting". The GCode viewer is actually a difficult dance between a few different processes and data from GCode loading and send directly from the engine.

The "quick" loading outer GCode is new, and that confused you. Tip, try something new for 2 weeks before complaining. Everyone was bitching about the auto-slicing. But that died in 2 weeks. Change takes time.

Posted · Viewport update

"Everyone was bitching about the auto-slicing. But that died in 2 weeks. Change takes time."

I still don't like it, but I don't bitch about it, because it's pointless ;)

Posted · Viewport update

And who can customize UI with plugins ?

Dont i need to speak python in order to do that ?

Most people dont even speak CMD.

I like the response above, its pointless :)

Posted · Viewport update

And who can customize UI with plugins ?

Dont i need to speak python in order to do that ?

Most people dont even speak CMD.

I like the response above, its pointless :)

It's actually 2 images and a simple text file. But then again, you refuse to look at it, so no point in telling you.

And most people have been telling me they like the auto-slicing now, even if they complained at the start.

For the printing window, I did not think there is a 1 size fits all, which is why I made the plugin system for it. I also made it as easy as possible to change it. I know my current options are not the best. But I also know that someone will come around and make improvements.

(After all, that's how I got started. Instead of complaining, I did shit about it)