Trying to Understand S5 Calibration Print Failures with Ultimaker ABS

cheuschober

Posted · Trying to Understand S5 Calibration Print Failures with Ultimaker ABS

Hi. I've been trying to calibrate my Cura settings / S5 with Air Manager and I'm having a difficult time interpreting the results of this most recent test. I'm hoping someone else might have an idea of what I'm looking at here.

These are 3 temperature towers per the Calibration Shapes extension. The material is Ultimaker ABS black that's been recently dried. I've been having a difficult time interpreting the results of single towers so I opted to explore if there's something up with resonances or the bed. The results are definitely.... interesting, though I'm not sure I know how to interpret them.

Calibration print profile starts with the Ultimaker ABS / Normal profile and makes the following changes:

- Nozzle Size : 0.4
 - Layer Height : 0.16
 - Initial Layer Height : 0.2
 - Line Width : 0.4
 - Wall Line Count : 3
 - Top/Bottom Thickness : 0.8 mm
 - Enable Bridge Settings : True
 - Use adaptive layers : False

Additionally, my first one of these was such a disaster, I added:

- Print Speed : 40.0 mm/s
- Fan Speed : 50.0 %

As you can see the results in each of the corners is rather different. I've done a manual bed leveling and it comes out level. Of course, after that the automatic leveling kicks in at the start of the sprint so perhaps it interprets something different. I'm also concerned about flow and retraction here but usually those are dialed in after temperature and I can't even seem to get that far along. 

Any help would be appreciated!

PXL_20221030_160143138.MP.jpg

PXL_20221030_160201320.MP.jpg

PXL_20221030_160234987.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221030_160214088.MP.jpg

ABS-tri-tower.3mf

If i understand correct this is 3 times the same model and settings only a different location?

did you try and print them one at a time as well? 

I noticed ABS is really sensative when it come to cooling time, some of our small prints need to be printed with mutiple models at the same time. While with the same settings and filament we don't want to fill the entire base plate wit mutiple models because it get to much cooling time.

also I think 50% fan speed is a lot on ABS we usualy print at 2% fan speed 

Hi @dsp...

These were printed simultaneously but I've done many individual prints. At 2% fan speed it's even worse than the worst of this bunch. I have tried it with multiple ultimaker ABS filaments and multiple ABS's in general. I have often wondered if I have a broken thermal measure but I think(?) those are in the print cores and I have these problems across print cores too.

<sigh) About every 6 months or so, I seem to get serious about trying to dial in this printer and then I get discouraged and the cycle repeats 6 months later. </sigh>

ABS takes some time to get used to and the biggest drama is that you need to change the setting depending on the model you are printing.

One of the reasons we lately went over to ABS pro, this is a lot more forgiving as normal ABS.

• Like 1

Hey @cheuschober,

I asked our Material Profile experts and they reccommend only using your fans for the first layer of briding an area. 
    Using the fans at other times will just limit your bed adhesion. 

The outerwall bridge lines seem to have broken and have fallen down in a specific orientation. They probably get too thin while pulling and break. Make sure that your speed changes are minimal while bridges. 

The difference in tower orientation can be due to the asymmetry in the cooling profile while moving over the trace. The assymmetry has to do where the fans are located on the printhead.