Holes in wall not correctly showing up

mgroth49

Posted (edited) · Holes in wall not correctly showing up

I'm a beginner and I am using blender for the first time, and have only done a couple of prints so far. I created a box with some small holes on the side which I would like to print.

Please see my attatchments.

The issue is that these holes I made in blender are not correctly rendering in Ultimaker Cura.
image.thumb.png.b9caa154d0409ce86c031efa8643c506.png

image.thumb.png.631213d6c093c9d50e98a812631f9726.png

image.thumb.png.1c3a4b5dfd49df284ee99409f61c7a98.png

If I go to "Mesh Type: Don't support overlaps" mode, it shows the holes. But I don't know what this means and it won't let me print this.

My printer is an Ender-3 Pro. I am a complete beginner and totally lost given the huge amount of settings in Blender and Ultimaker Cura. I just want to print my box correctly with the little holes.

Edited by mgroth49

Posted · Holes in wall not correctly showing up

I have to put cura view into x-ray mode to see your holes at all.  They are completely hidden inside a wall.  I'm sorry but this is a blender issue and I don't know blender at all.

You could try an stl repair service like the free one from netfabb but there is a good chance it will just remove all those "holes".

The basic problem is that the face of your part is covering the holes.

Blender isn't great at making 3d models that can be printed.  Blender lets you create infinitely thin walls with no need to make them have depth/thickness.  CAD software that is meant to create real things won't let you do that.  At least not easily.

If you were really good at blender I'd say stick with it and maybe google "making blender models manifold".  But since you are a beginner, if you are using a PC, then I strongly recommend DSM (design spark mechanical).  It's free and easy to use and it won't let you create models like this where a wall is covering a hole.  There's just no way to do it as your parts are always manifold (real, complete, solid models).

1839565740_Screenshotfrom2022-11-0608-30-59.thumb.png.d129a2292aedfcdf8be25cfd0a2f0225.png

Also going forward, try to stick only with millimeters both in CAD and during the "export to STL" stage.  This will save you time and pain.

Thanks gr5. All great suggestions.

I eventually found it that it was, in fact, a blender issue. Blender is strange with holes. I had to "hide" certain objects in blender for the holes to be exported correctly.

I'm very interested in the other software you suggested. I'd just like to quickly check about a couple things:

• What would you suggest for mac? I use a Silicon Mac, not a PC.
    • Is this software scriptable? My favorite part of Blender is that I can write python code that automates everything.