Is it possible to adjust the chamber temperature to allow drying filament in a UMS5 ?

Dadkitess

Posted · Is it possible to adjust the chamber temperature to allow drying filament in a UMS5 ?

Hey there,

I have a bunch of spool that sit in open air for too long now, and cannot buy and place as many dryer as it would be required, because of the limited area i'm working in.

Anyway, I'd like to dry some spool alltogether during the few days I have with the printer not running. I've found how to heat manually the bed, but nothing about the chamber itself, that would be the most interestring to dry spools.

Is there a way to control this parameter ? Or should it be a request ?

In general, I don't understand why we have so many limitation regarding the manual control of this printer, regardind axis movements, temperatures, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Is it possible to adjust the chamber temperature to allow drying filament in a UMS5 ?

I dry filament in my print chamber all the time - I place a couple of threaded inserts (or other small 1-2 cm bits of metal) on the heat bed to create a small air gap between the  plastic filament spool and the glass. Then run the heat bed up to the temp you want to dry your filament at, close the doors on the chamber and leave it alone for 4-6 hours (or longer for nylon). This does a decent job of drying out spools of filament. FYI - this is assuming you have a fully enclosed chamber.

I have an Ultimaker S5, so yep, enclosed chamber. And I've disconnected the Air Manager to prevent it from extracting all the heat enclosed. Yet, my first tests were totally not convincing, the air inside never reach sufficient temperature, and the bed by itself won't conduct enough heat.

Well, I'll try again by better caulking the panels gaps... But the obvious solution would be to allow heating the chamber by itself, manually, as I've read a lot about its "heated chamber" but now i'm wondering, if that's true or just that the enclose chamber will help having some temperature control inside, thanks to the AirManager.

• 2 weeks later...

I do know one recommendation was to put the spools in the cardboard box they come in (at least for the Ultimaker ones) and then place that in the chamber and ramp up the temp to dry  it. I imagine any smallish box would work? I personally like using a food dehydrator that fits several spools of filament and has a fan for forced air circulation.

I'm gonna build my own heated dessicant storage, did not found anything that suit a professionnal use of 8+ open air spools in a small room with not a lot of space.

Tried the heated bed with cardboard to dry spools, but it's not nearly as efficient as I need to dry my long time exposed filament.