Help diagnosing UM3 front fan not running

FSund
Go to solution Solved by FSund,

Posted · Help diagnosing UM3 front fan not running

We have a UM3 at work that I'm trying to get working.

I think I've nailed down one of our issues to the front fan not running.

• If I heat a print core to 60 degrees via the menu, the fan does not start, and I measure 0 V at the connector on the back of the print head
  • If I plug the front fan into a connector for one of the side fans, the fan spins up when I manually set the fan speed in the menu
  • The front fan spins freely if I blow on it

Should I just go ahead and order a new print head board, or is there something else I can try?

Hey @FSund,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Hardware replacements are not my strong suit.
    But I do have access to the assembly manuals. 

UM3 - Replacing the axial fan.pdf

If that doesn't work there might be a broken part. 

Then it's better to reach out to our support experts.

You can create a ticket here: 

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000516360

I also had a fan issue which ended up being very fine strings of material caught in the inner bearing of the fan, i had to remove the fan which is quite difficult and you risk breaking some solder joints, its easily repaired though with a soldering iron. I removed all the material of which there was A LOT compared to what i could previously see. Everything's been working fine for months after this.

• Solution

Turns out I had swapped the front fan and auto leveling sensor connectors 🤦‍♂️ The fan works as expected after swapping them around.

• Like 1