Help with parts fusing in PIP parts

jamorgan3777

Posted · Help with parts fusing in PIP parts

Hello.  I am new to 3D printing but having a ton of fun learning.  I am currently trying to print some articulated pieces, most notably, one of the pop out swords.  I try the test print over and over and am getting the three parts fused together.  I have tried several things and nothing seems to improve it.  They are completely clear except for the seam and that seems to be binding the concentric layers together.  

I have tried reducing the flow (95 vs 100), thinning the walls (-0.05 expansion), and running random seam as opposed to standard.  I am pretty sure my bed is trammed correctly to the print head (and plane).  Do I just need to get more aggressive with the flow reduction?  I have not tried adjusting layer height.  

I am running on an Ender 3 Neo with glass bed 200C extruder and 60C bed (have also tried 50C bed)

Running PLA filament

any help for this noob would be appreciated.  

Load the model and set Cura up for your slice.  Then use the "File | Save Project" command to create a 3mf project file that will contain the model, your settings, and your printer.  Post the 3mf here and I'll take a look.

Usually it's the flow though.  Did you calibrate the E-Steps on your printer?  Most Enders require that they be calibrated.

That model is all about Flow and Line Width and the two go hand-in-hand.

If you are in the "Basic " Cura settings then select "Custom".  The button to the right of the "Search Settings" box is the visibility control.  Click on it and set the visibility to "All".

Get your E-steps squared away (that has a direct effect on Flow) and then set your Quality / Outer Wall Line Width to .35.  You can leave the flow settings at 100% for now but if another test shows that the sections are still getting bonded together then drop the flow to 95 or even 90%.  Since neither the layer height nor the extrusion length can change then flow can only affect how wide the extrusions are.

Another setting you could use is Horizontal Expansion.  If you set it to a small negative number like -0.05 the gaps between the pieces will get larger.

"Everything affects Everything" so look at the preview closely.  There seems to be plenty of room between those pieces and there really shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you very much for the help.  I will try your suggestions.  I did checked and set my E-steps first and they were actually a little low.  100mm of requested filament was giving me 95.5mm.  I set it to give 100=100 (by changing my steps/mm from the stock 93 to 97.3. 

I am now printing some test bocks with 1, 2, and 3 lines.  I will try the 0.35 outer wall line width.  

Thank you again for your help.