Striping because of head direction changing

davidkrc

Posted (edited) · Striping because of head direction changing

I'm trying to figure out how to prevent this striping.  The cause is the print head changing direction from clockwise to counter clockwise... and back again.  It's so random.  Sometimes I can change the orientation of the part and that will solve most of the issue.  On some parts, however, sometimes after a hundred changes, changing seam preference etc. there's no stopping the striping.  I'd love a feature that says "print clockwise" or "print counter clockwise" or something like that.  I'm using Cura 5.2.1.  The image attached shows the issue along side a print with no striping.  Thanks.

Nacelle Striping.JPG

Edited by davidkrc

• davidkrc changed the title to Striping because of head direction changing
    Posted · Striping because of head direction changing

HEy @davidkrc,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

What in interesting report 🤔
    I don't think I've seen a picture that illustratese the problem so clearly.

I believe we might be overlooking a setting that can help out here! 

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

Hi @MariMakes,

I don't own the file (it is part of a paid download) so I'll need permission to post it.  I'll try to get permission and if it's ok I'll create the project and post it.  Thanks for the response.  While watching the print, I can see where banding will be because the print head changes direction from CW to CCW or from CCW to CW.

Hi @MariMakes,

Please find attached a Project file containing the part that is printing with bands of shading because the direction of the print head changes from CW or CWW to the opposite direction.  The owner of the files was kind enough to let me send the file along to you.

I'm printing on a Prusa MK3S+ with Galaxy Silver Prusament and I'm using Cura 5.2.1.

This part sits horizontally on an airplane wing.  The top of the part is the taller of the 2 sections and it oriented toward the back.  I wouldn't really care if the bottom of the piece had banding, but the top part being so visible... and not being painted, I'd like to look it's best.

I've tried many combinations of Z Seam Position, Z Seam X, Z Seam Y, Seam Corner Preference and Z Seam Relative.  I've tried changing orientation, position on the bed... so many different combination.

The printer is solid.  All other parts are printing beautifully.

Thanks for looking at this.  Please let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,

David

PI3MK3M_Right Outer Nacelle Mount.3mf

Seems to be always clockwise in Cura 5.0.0.  I can't run newer versions of cura so I can't test in the latest.  They did add a feature where you can alternate CW/CCW but that was only for every other layer and disabled by default and related to metal prints.  Not plastic prints.

Maybe try cura 5.0.0?

I posted the part as requested but no response from admin.

Try this - use the @ sign and she'll get a notification:

@MariMakes - please try his project file in the latest cura - does the outer layer change between CW and CCW?  It doesn't for me in Cura 5.0.0 but I can't try newer.

And @davidkrc, please try in cura 5.0.0 (you can have multiple versions installed at the same time) and check in PREVIEW mode with the horizontal slider to see if the head is moving CW or CCW.

I'm pretty sure it only does one direction (CW) the entire print but there are settings (meant for printing metal and which should not be in any profiles other than metal) that let you change the direction.

I've been summoned 🦸‍♀️😉

I apologize, I totally forgot to follow up on this. 
    I've discussed with the team and they agree it's a bug.

We've added a ticket to the backlog with the intent to improve this. 
    For internal reference CURA-10143.

Thanks for the report! 👍 

Unfortunately the current workaround is going back to 4.13 because it was introduced in Cura 5.0

No workaround for me.  The parts were designed to be sliced in Cura 5.2.1... cannot go back.  I'll have to live with the ugly prints.  Hope it's fixed soon.  Thanks.

@MariMakes Has this bug been addressed? I'm experiencing print issues that might be related. If not, how do I go back to version 4.13? (CURA-10143)

Hey @libertyhouseplans,

It has not been addressed yet, but we still have the intent to improve this. 
    Sorry for the inconvenience. 

You can download previous versions of Cura here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases?page=2