Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
soupaboy

Hi guys. Small help please?

Posted · Hi guys. Small help please?

Hi guys. I wanted to know if you guys recommend the ultimaker and if its good.

What speeds do you gs print at and resolution. Has anyone managed 15 microns oh here?

I have a robo 3d and its got a huge build-platform so the ultimaker would be a downgrade in size but I like the speed

No, here at the Ultimaker forums we tend to recommend other brands ;)

Speed depends on what you're trying to do, how thick the layers are, which printer (UM original or UM2) and what material you're using. In general though I think most people print around 30-90mm/s depending on if you're printing for quality or speed.

15 microns (0.015mm) is insanely thin, I don't think anyone prints that thinly on a daily basis or if it's even possible. In my experience I think going below 60microns is a waste of time as you don't really gain any quality. 99% of what I print is at 100microns.

No, here at the Ultimaker forums we tend to recommend other brands ;)

Speed depends on what you're trying to do, how thick the layers are, which printer (UM original or UM2) and what material you're using. In general though I think most people print around 30-90mm/s depending on if you're printing for quality or speed.

15 microns (0.015mm) is insanely thin, I don't think anyone prints that thinly on a daily basis or if it's even possible. In my experience I think going below 60microns is a waste of time as you don't really gain any quality. 99% of what I print is at 100microns.

Like that though i have tried 0.02mm once..... you tend to get some real problems with how the plastic behaves at that layer thickness... it is partial unreliable and will give you a worse surface than 0.04mm

Some folks have printed at 20 microns on the UM2 with reasonable results... but I'm not convinced there's much point to doing that - it just takes forever, and as Takei notes, it can introduce problems of its own.

On a UM1, I often print at 0.065mm for nice surface finish - but on the UM2, because the layer-to-layer registration is so good, I really haven't seen a need to go below 0.1mm; even at that relatively thick layer height, it's hard to see the layers most of the time on a UM2.

printing to a layer height of .015 when the nozzle width is .4 is kind of silly. The radius of the nozzle hole is .2mm so for example you can't make a cube with the outside corner radius tighter than .2mm. That's in X and Y.